Clutch/ gearbox noise - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default Clutch/ gearbox noise

Hey guys,

Im not really sure what is going on here, but something doesn't seem right that the clutch is making this noise. Jeep is going to the dealer next week to sort out a few warranty things and just wanted some opinions on what this noise could be.

The first video shows a slight rattle that only occurs when the car is in neutral with the clutch release, the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed.

The second video is what is heard from under the car between when the clutch is depressed and then released (the noise happens as the clutch is released).

It should be noted that these noises only start occurring when i have been for a 30min drive or more. Any help would be great, as im sure the dealer will say nothing is wrong. Im heading to the cape at the end of the month and I dont want it to fail on me!

Thanks
Old 10-06-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

Have you been in deep water? The clutch noise sounds like a bad thrust bearing.
I wonder if the gear noise maybe the same noise? Can you have one without the other?
If its the thrust bearing, its more a nusance than anything. They can rattle & squeek for years. If its a bad input shaft bearing on the GB, then you have a terminal situation. Any noises when driving? Overun/underun?
Old 10-06-2013
CrawlerStar

The last time I was in deepish water was about a year ago... the noises seem to appear together, it doesn't make the noise when i first start up the car as far as I am aware (but i will check again when it stops pouring with rain) I think the two noises are related though, but that's just an assumption i made. Im hoping its not something that is going to cause major problems!
No noises or overrun/underrun when driving that I am aware of or have noticed.

I might add, its a 2011 model so its still under warranty so hopefully I can get whatever this is sorted out before the warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Have you been in deep water? The clutch noise sounds like a bad thrust bearing.
I wonder if the gear noise maybe the same noise? Can you have one without the other?
If its the thrust bearing, its more a nusance than anything. They can rattle & squeek for years. If its a bad input shaft bearing on the GB, then you have a terminal situation. Any noises when driving? Overun/underun?

Last edited by Adrian93; 10-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 20-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Thanks guys,
Dealer has order a new thrust bearing, so hopefully this rectifies the problem.
Old 26-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Just an update on this issue, the dealer finally replaced the clutch bearing but it hasn't seemed to fix the problem at all, it actually seems worse!
Here is a video of the noise that is coming from the gearbox/clutch area, does anyone else think this is not normal? Looks like I'll be making a trip back to the dealer, again....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfG6L...ature=youtu.be
Old 26-10-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 07 jk makes the same noise as yours does in the second video on your first post...as you apply and release the clutch and sometimes when it's just idling with clutch released.

I thought it must have been my thrust bearing but even after a recondition gearbox was put in, by jeep, it still does it. I try my hardest to ignore it.

Some one also suggested that it could be the release fork rattling against the bell housing...
Old 26-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Mine (MY13) has been making the second noise for almost 5000kms. Brought it to their attention at 12k service. Nothing was done except for the liberal spraying of lubricant. Also told them about the water pump chirp with same result.

Looking on US sites, it appears this problem has been around for sometime. Most believe it is coming from the slave cylinder and the problem returns even when replaced. Something to do with it being made of plastic. Have not tried to take it apart yet to see what is going on, but the noise does get annoying.

No one seems to have come up with a suitable fix yet, so good luck with the dealer. Keep us posted though.
Post New Thread  Reply