Chief Lower Front Guard - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Chief Lower Front Guard

Team, fitting of the lower front guard from Chief with the original tow hooks isn't going to plan. I've got to the last part where you re-fit the original tow hooks and I can't get one of the mounting bolts in because the chassis mounting bracket prevents it from lining up properly.

I've cut the original bolt to 47mm as shown in the instructions even went and got some new 40mm bolts and still can't get them in.

Am I missing something before I start pulling it apart again and try to re-align everything?

I need to prove to my wife I haven't wasted a weekend and a heap of cash.
Old 06-09-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Bugger. I was lucky I guess, I installed the Chief recovery points at the same time and had no issues. Although, in hindsight, I will get around to refitting the lower guard with nylon washers on the bolts and between the guard and the vehicle. I have found that the guards "creaks" at times and hope the nylon washers will stop that.
Old 06-09-2020
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah, obviously that might have been the best idea to get the whole kit.

I've pulled it a part, trimmed the other tab on the OEM Hook mounting bracket and pushed the Chief mounts back about 5mm.

Success got the tow hooks in and bolted up, guard on and bolted up, just had to put the ACC cover on and it didn't fit the guard was putting pressure on the camera. I'm thinking of just using some spacers to make it work.
Old 06-09-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Good on you for persevering, but dumb question. install it all with the bolts all loose, get it all in and then tighten everything.
Old 06-09-2020
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Good on you for persevering, but dumb question. install it all with the bolts all loose, get it all in and then tighten everything.
Thanks Dingo, I did that first time round, got to the tow hooks at step 29 and could get them to fit. Have you tried getting the OEM tow hooks back in .

Second time round I got them in and bolted up then attached everything else. I might be postponing a redo until next weekend now.
Old 07-09-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

the best way to fit chief gear is to throw the instructions out, they are so shit it isn't funny.

GCRob , happy to pop round and help you if you want. I have lower facia with chief towhooks .
Old 07-09-2020
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
the best way to fit chief gear is to throw the instructions out, they are so shit it isn't funny.

GCRob , happy to pop round and help you if you want. I have lower fascia with chief tow hooks .
Thanks Tim, I might take you up on that if you have time later this week. I got it all buttoned up except for the ACC guard last night. I think to get the ACC guard to fit I'll have to remove the tow hooks and loosen it all to move the guard far enough from the camera and then get those tow hooks back in. If I'd gone with the Chief tow hooks I probably wouldn't have had a problem. I'll pm you with my number.
Post New Thread  Reply