Brake Fluid - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-02-2016
asp_777
Visitor

Default Brake Fluid

About to flush the brake system on a JKU 3.6> Can anyone help with the brake fluid capacity? How much of dot3 Mopar (might use Penrite) do I require. Thanks
Old 20-02-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

I replaced my fluid a few months back, used 2 bottles (the standards size, 500ml or what ever they are). I wouldn't bother with Mopar, any good brand of dot 3 or dot 4 will be fine.
Old 21-02-2016
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Actually.... DOT4 is only specified for EMERGENCY use in a JK. ( even printed on the master cylinder fluid reservoir lid )

DOT3 is the correct fluid. DOT4 is not fully compatible with the seal materials.
Old 21-02-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

just some added info... this is in reference to glycol based brake fluids only

DOT 3 or brake fluid that meets SAE J1703 is an older specification, DOT 4, DOT 5.1 are all glycol-based fluid and as per the standard are required to be compatible for use in brake systems that specify a DOT 3 or higher.

DOT 4 or higher that meet the specification of SAE J1704 have a far higher boiling point than that of the lower J1703 standard. The downside of using a DOT 4 or higher brake fluid that ONLY meets the newer J1704 standard is the additive may be incompatible with some seals used in brake systems, the incompatibility is only so far as the seals deteriorate over a long period of time, but generally not within the time frame that a brake system would generally be considered in need of being overhauled.

A DOT 4 or higher specification brake fluid will also absorb moisture quicker than a DOT 3 specification brake fluid, but again not within the normal service life of brake fluid, which is considered in the industry and manufacturers as a period of 2 years. The Australian Standards for the maximum moisture content in a brake system is 4%, again this generally will be that 2 year time frame.

So consider this...
*A brake fluid that is DOT 4, DOT 5.1 has a higher boiling point.
*A brake fluid that is DOT 4, DOT 5.1 have better corrosion inhibitors than lower spec fluids.
*When buying a DOT 4, DOT 5.1 look on the label for the standards of BOTH SAE 1703, SAE 1704 and you are guaranteed it will be compatible with your brake system.
(Often a DOT 4 brake fluid that meets both standards will be labeled as Super DOT 4 or DOT 4 plus)
*Regardless what you use, flush your brake fluid every 2 years.
*Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture, from the moment the container is opened AND when it is in the brake system of a vehicle. Never use opened brake fluid that has been sitting on the shelf for any period of time, buy small 500ml containers and when you have finished discard un-used fluid.
*Brake fluid is extremely toxic to you, any living plants or animals, disposing in the bin is not an exceptable method of disposal and poses a health risk and an environmental hazard.

Important to note:
Some vehicles and heavy equipment (common on French manufactured vehicles/equipment) use a mineral or silicone based brake fluid, DOT 5 (please note this is NOT the same as DOT 5.1) is a silicone based brake fluid, the other being "LHM" is a mineral based brake fluid.

Silicone or mineral based brake fluid must never be mixed with "normal" glycol based brake fluids.

Regards
Daz

Last edited by DarrenR; 21-02-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 22-02-2016
asp_777
Visitor

Default Brake Fluid

Well for those interested . Purchased 2 x 500ml of Nulon Dot 3 for about $16. It took all the 1 litre to flush the old fluid out and have clearer clean fluid seen flowing through from all 4 callipers. It's fiddly on your own but a simple process using a one person fluid bottle extract thingy I purchased for about $13, Or you can make your own. The tricky thing is ensuring the reservoir never empties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-02-2016
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Just keep in mind that seal compatibility should take precedence over other factors. Whilst different DOT specs have higher boiling points etc..... if the selected fluid affects the seals your in trouble.

We also need to consider the ABS system internals...... not just the traditional brake and clutch system. I asked one of the Bosch ABS application engineers about fluid substitution on Bosch systems and he was very clear - NO.
The JK doesn't run a Bosch system so that's only of interest, but I think relevant.

Usually I'm in favor of "upgrades" but in this case I think its very wise to stick with the recommended fluid.
Old 22-02-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Just keep in mind that seal compatibility should take precedence over other factors. Whilst different DOT specs have higher boiling points etc..... if the selected fluid affects the seals your in trouble.

Usually I'm in favor of "upgrades" but in this case I think its very wise to stick with the recommended fluid.
I agree, hence the comment
"*When buying a DOT 4, DOT 5.1 look on the label for the standards of BOTH SAE 1703, SAE 1704 and you are guaranteed it will be compatible with your brake system. (Often a DOT 4 brake fluid that meets both standards will be labeled as Super DOT 4 or DOT 4 plus)"

Regards
Daz