2.7 Power Steering pressure Hose End Fittings - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-10-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking 2.7 Power Steering pressure Hose End Fittings

Hi Guys,
Just need a little expert advise. I just bought a new Power Steering Pressure hose 52089501AA for my 2003 2.7 WG. It didn't come with the end fittings which is actually the bit I need as the internal O-ring is the thing that's broken. Do you guys know what part number the end fittings are and where I can get them? I found a website that says 52088914AA will do the trick but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rosi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52089501AA.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	69695   Click image for larger version

Name:	52088914aa.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	69696  

“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
Old 19-10-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

When I checked this out a couple of years ago I could not find anywhere that had the right hose and the end fitting could not be found anywhere separately. It is a special fitting that has to be force fitted. Apparently similar to a process Ford use but the ford ones whilst available separately are smaller. You have to cut the old one off without damaging the tube then force fit the new one if you can find it. I just went and changed mine to a JIC hydraulic fitting, which I detailed at the time. A hydraulic shop could do this for you. Drover some time later found a petrol one that worked but doesn't fit as well. Just makes me wonder what hose you got. I had seen a picture of the fitting in the parts manual but when I spoke to a couple of Jeep places they were adamant it was not available as a separate item.

Read the "Everything 2.7" thread, I'm sure Drover has put some information in there, we've been through this a couple of times now.

Last edited by fester; 19-10-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 19-10-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,308 Posts

Most interesting that hose, I would just go to an Enzed fella or other hose bloke and see what he could do. The internal O ring is not replacable or so I believe. I 've fitted a hose for the V8 on mine only temporary till I get the old one fixed, been going a couple of years so far I think. There is a thread somewhere I thought it was tagged in Everything but it's not there.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-10-2014
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
When I checked this out a couple of years ago I could not find anywhere that had the right hose and the end fitting could not be found anywhere separately. It is a special fitting that has to be force fitted. Apparently similar to a process Ford use but the ford ones whilst available separately are smaller.
You won't be able to find the fitting, same problem if you have a Ford to BTW.

Quote:
You have to cut the old one off without damaging the tube then force fit the new one if you can find it. I just went and changed mine to a JIC hydraulic fitting, which I detailed at the time. A hydraulic shop could do this for you.
If you go to the right Pirtek or Enzed they should be able to modify a fitting for you to stop the leak. I don't know whether Fester has this problem but the modified fitting I have sits higher than the original. The intercooler hose hits it but even after at least 50,000km it hasn't created a problem so far.

Jason
Old 19-10-2014
No Winching

I thought I had a write up too but can't find it in threads I've started. I've got photobucket pics so I'm sure I've posted before but must be in someone elses thread.

Here's some pics of what I did. I did it myself but if you have no joy with the correct hose any hydraulic shop could do it for you.

This is the fitting on the pump side with a male JIC fitting welded into it. The original pump fitting screws into the pump. I unscrewed it and machined the nut section down as it's quite thick, this allowed setting the JIC fitting deeper into it to allow clearance to the intercooler hose.

This is a JIC swivel nut fitting welded into the original fitting on the hose. I cut the old fitting off flush then drilled the square section to match the JIC fitting. I also machined the back section of the JIC fitting down to weld it to the original section.

The original fitting that leaks.

Close up before and after a lick of paint showing the 2 fittings bolted together. The bit with the thread and holes is the original part that screws into the pump. You can see where they are welded in the unpainted pic.

I did it like this to keep it looking sort of original but there's not a lot of room under the intercooler hose. You could possibly use a bent tube section out of the pump, again welded into the fitting and this way you might be able to get it away from the hose more and shorten the hose end to suit but I haven't looked for ages so not sure if possible. I could not find a non original fitting to put on the end of the hose to match that in the pump, nor could I find that fitting on the end of the hose. Like I said they are replaceable if you can find them but it takes a bit of care to do so as you have to destroy the fitting to get it off without damaging the tube within.

Last edited by fester; 19-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 19-10-2014
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
You won't be able to find the fitting, same problem if you have a Ford to BTW.

Yeah I went to Ford when I found out they were the same but the Ford guy said theirs could be replaced but not easily. No good at any rate for us as they are smaller.

If you go to the right Pirtek or Enzed they should be able to modify a fitting for you to stop the leak. I don't know whether Fester has this problem but the modified fitting I have sits higher than the original. The intercooler hose hits it but even after at least 50,000km it hasn't created a problem so far.

Jason
Not sure how they did yours Jason but as you can see from mine I changed both sides but have machined the bits down as much as possible for clearance. I have maybe 3mm clearance. I spend quite a bit of time rooting around in the parts shelves of the local independent hydraulic shop in town finding what I thought was a suitable combination. I like the better fit of the JIC fittings as they are true hydraulic hose fittings. There are other possibilities I guess like BSP, NPT and some others but I think JIC is more reliable but still simple eg no orings to fail.

Last edited by fester; 19-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 19-10-2014
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Not sure how they did yours Jason but as you can see from mine I changed both sides but have machined the bits down as much as possible for clearance. I have maybe 3mm clearance. I spend quite a bit of time rooting around in the parts shelves of the local independent hydraulic shop in town finding what I thought was a suitable combination. I like the better fit of the JIC fittings as they are true hydraulic hose fittings. There are other possibilities I guess like BSP, NPT and some others but I think JIC is more reliable but still simple eg no orings to fail.
This is pretty much how mine is one if memory serves me correctly. I didn't do it as I didn't have the ability to do any brazing, if i did I would have seen a similar result but at the moment it is a smidgen higher.

As mentioned, it isn't a problem so I'm not worried about it.

Jason
Post New Thread  Reply