Diesel Engine Oil Choices? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
That's a 10w-40 oil mate. Jeep stipulates a 5w-40 for this engine.
Was aware of that......you asked for choices

Last edited by Lewy2001; 28-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 28-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

FCA recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. I have switched from mobil to it and seems to be going ok.
Easy to get as well.
Old 28-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasjeep View Post
FCA recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. I have switched from mobil to it and seems to be going ok.
Easy to get as well.
It is a good oil no doubt, but definitely not a low SAPS DPF safe choice IMO. The stealerships use any shit they feel like. From a little research I've done, it seems the non-DPF safe oils tend to do a better job protecting the engine thanks to all the additives that would contaminate DPF and catalytic emission systems. Generally, it is claimed that a DPF is good for around 120 000 k's using the correct oils and oils with a higher SAPS and additive content might cut that life in half. Then of course some vehicles implement the DPF clean strategy much better than others.
Old 28-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
It is a good oil no doubt, but definitely not a low SAPS DPF safe choice IMO. The stealerships use any shit they feel like. From a little research I've done, it seems the non-DPF safe oils tend to do a better job protecting the engine thanks to all the additives that would contaminate DPF and catalytic emission systems. Generally, it is claimed that a DPF is good for around 120 000 k's using the correct oils and oils with a higher SAPS and additive content might cut that life in half. Then of course some vehicles implement the DPF clean strategy much better than others.
Do you know what the SAPS is for the Shell, because I tried to find out and Shell wasn't saying.
I am away for a few month's when I get back aI am going to send a virigin sample away to find out.
It is not the dealers saying the Shell, when FCA did the oil spec change that is the oil they recommended for Australia.I suspect it is very similar to the Shell they use in thd States.
Old 28-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

The Helix Ultra SAPS level I don't know mate, it seems Shell Australia are a bit sheepish with that info. But it is not the same as the Shell Rotella T6 sold in the US which has a 1% SAPS content....so in reality a mid-SAPS not a low-SAPS oil. But there's a bit more to DPF safe oils too in the way they handle ash and carbon from combustion blowby and their ability to cope with fuel dilution due to extra fuel being injected during DPF regen etc.
Old 29-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts

Been using Penrite Enviro since the first oil change 4-1/2 years ago, no problems yet. Like others I wait for the Supercheap or Repco sales and buy then. My dealer has no problem with me supplying the oil and discounts the service price accordingly. Last service they knocked off $245 off the price as I supplied the engine oil.

Regards
Mike Y
Old 29-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This is a reply I got from the Viva Technical help desk on the 2nd May 18

"Many thanks for your email - Shell do not list the sulphated Ash content for Helix Ultra 5W-40 - but the specification A3/B3 A3/B4 requires a level between 0.9 - 1.5% which is met by this oil"

Kind Regards,

Alicia / Technical Helpdesk
T 1300 134 205 F 1300 134 209
E technicalhelpdesk@vivaenergy.com.au

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply