2WD Transfer Case Swap? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-09-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Default 2WD Transfer Case Swap?

Hi all,

Anyone here had and thoughts or any ideas on what would be the best way to get a transfer case into the WH/WH that will provide a 2wd option?

My wife and I would like to buy a Commander CRD, but one of the sticking points for me is the full-time 4wd (48/52 torque split) as I would prefer to have 2wd.

My research suggests that the following TC's with 2wd 'might' be ok:
- 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 NP243 - same model as the WH/XH just with added 2wd, elec actuation. Would have to import from the US.
- KK Cherokee CRD - bolted to the same transmission (I think) in the CRD's so should bolt onto the back of the Commander's CRD transmission (again I think), elec actuation.
- WG Grand Cherokee CRD NP247 - bolted to the same transmission in the CRD's so should bolt onto the back of the Commander's CRD transmission (I think), manual actuation. I'm ok with this TC only having 4wd hi 'auto' and 4lo as the 4wd hi is actually 100% rwd until there is wheel spin then it feeds torque to the front wheels as necessary.

With any TC swap, does anyone know how the WH/XH's elec software will react? Will it mess up the traction control system, and possibly the ABS/EBD systems?

The RAM 1500 TC I feel makes the most sense but it is only ever bolted to the 545RFE transmission with the Hemi's so not sure if it'll bolt up easily to the WA580...

I also am aware that the WH/XH's have a "Forward Drive Control Module (FDCM)" located under the back seat that controls the 4wd system. Would this work with the other elec actuated TC's and elec controlled TC's (especially if they're in 2wd mode) or would the FDCM need to be swapped over as well somehow from the TC's donor vehicle (then I'd assume wiring would be a mess).

Then maybe fitting a manually actuated (and 100% mechanical in operation) TC like the NP247 might be a good idea, except now there's the issue of modding the centre console to have a shift lever for the TC... And again, not sure what the WH/XH's elecs would think of not having a TC that it can talk to.

Anyway, if anyone else has thoughts or ideas along these lines please share
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 30-09-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Electrics to complicated. I couldn't find anyone in Australia to reprogram my Transmission control module so it would be imposable to get a Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) reprogramed here.

The KK T/C would be the go mechanically even though it never was fitted to a Nag1. All KK's used the 545RFE.

Anyway the economy as an all wheel drive is outstanding & the cost involved would never be recovered.

In theory it should be possible to fool the FDCM to lock the T/C in High, I have chatted with some US guys about it but no one has yet done it.
Old 03-10-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

What's so wrong with full time 4wd? You would never save enough fuel to justify the cost.
Old 03-10-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Electrics to complicated. I couldn't find anyone in Australia to reprogram my Transmission control module so it would be imposable to get a Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) reprogramed here.

The KK T/C would be the go mechanically even though it never was fitted to a Nag1. All KK's used the 545RFE.

Anyway the economy as an all wheel drive is outstanding & the cost involved would never be recovered.

In theory it should be possible to fool the FDCM to lock the T/C in High, I have chatted with some US guys about it but no one has yet done it.
Thanks Clarky.

I wasn't sure if the CRD KK's had the 545RFE or the WA580/NAG1, thanks for the info.

Yeah costs vs reward, the age old question...

Last edited by Turismo07; 03-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
What's so wrong with full time 4wd? You would never save enough fuel to justify the cost.
I just prefer the option of 2wd, just don't like the way full-time 4wd's feel when driven hard, would rather to have control over 2wd or 4wd. Plus handy if something breaks in the front end offroad, few more options to being able to drive home in 2wd.

We will still prob get a Commander (looking for the 'right' one now).

The other vehicle we are considering is a JKU Wrangler CRD, plenty of aftermarket support, a proper transfer case, awesome vehicle in general, but lacks the towing capacity of the XH and doesn't have the power (and possibly economy) of the Merc CRD, oh and creature comforts for the Mrs.
Old 03-10-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes I did ponder the question myself after my front prop shaft failed at Wilcannia but it all fell into the too hard basket & probably outside my skill set.

Best to just bullet proof the driveline with new custom prop shafts. My custom made shaft is in my opinion the answer, its just unfortunate I had it made by the wrong people.
It has to much play in the splines (I can push it up about a quarter of an inch when installed) which causes vibration.
I couldn't be bothered going back to get it sorted so I'm seriously considering a Tom Woods driveshaft from the USA.

If you tow maybe a transmission cooler, yes I know they have a factory one but I get worried when traveling remote & the factory cooler is part of the aircon condenser (and its a small part) so removing that heat source can only benefit the aircon & a larger trans cooler would give me piece of mind.

If you plane on lifting the Commander do yourself a favour & replace all the suspension rubbers at the same time, it is well worth the extra cost, time & effort in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

seems like a lot of effort for little reward, have you driven a jeep with qd2 by far the best behaved 4wd i have driven and coming from a v8 ute i thought i would have missed 2wd, drifting and track day are done for me.

The commander is a awesome tow vehicle, my trans temp barely moves towing up where my mates ford ranger gets up to 110* roughly same weight trailer same hills. if you really want 2wd i think you would be better off going a part time 4x4 the 2.8crd can be upgraded.
Post New Thread  Reply