satellite broadband is it possible to get and whats the cost for the install? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Just go a quote to install a dish and set it up 3k plus the plan. FT I will continue to take up my complaint with my local Lib member. Hoping he can add pressure for Telstra to install a tower.

Regards A
Old 16-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Been checking out towers, Telstra and Optus around your area, everyone has a bloody big Mtn in front of it. Though I noticed Telstra mobile coverage at the other end of town which requires an antennae ?? Just haven't worked out where the signal for that is coming from but if they really do get a signal then a big arse Yagi or mod dish will get you one too, need someone there with a RF meter to get a bearing. Will keep working on it.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-01-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey mate. I do this for a living (not the satellite stuff cause it only works for about 4 months anyway hahaha). The only thing is its going to cost ya. no ways around it. If you can run cables through your walls your fine. We have setup Mobile antennas 22kms away from where you get signal without an antenna in mountainous country. My recommendation - Buy a 16dbi yagi - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111037805...84.m1497.l2649 - they work fine believe it or not. Then buy a telstra Easy touch phone (And the patch lead to suit I can get the part number for that too later on when im not to busy). Plug it all in climb on your roof and start pointing it in every direction - go to settings About phone then i think its Status. It will show you coverage or Signal strength. You will want atleast -95db for mobile internet. With -95db you should experience roughly 1200kbps download and around 80kpbs upload. Any better signal and it will only get better. If i wasnt 2000kms away i would come do it for you with my test gear but sorry.
Once you have a good strong internet connection mount your antenna and run the cable in and then you can Mobile hotspot the phone as a modem. The reason we do it this way we have found the Telstra easy touch to be a lot more sensitive to signal than the modems are so its just easier. And you get a phone to take away with you.
People are being sucked into the NBN Satellite broadband but if you read the disclaimer its not being activated until 2015. So dont believe the hype, i come from a rural area and we replace new satellite systems daily with mobile internet.
Old 16-01-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also whats your address. I can search for you which direction the antenna should be pointed. But sometimes you get a better signal bouncing off hills.
Wow just read page 2 and Drover is definately right. With some setups i got a customer who lives way out back of bloody no where (You dont get signal for over 25kms away and we got him signal - telstra said it was impossible).
Old 16-01-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE09 View Post
http://www.activ8me.net.au/internet/...roadband-plans

These guys give great quota and it's one of the cheaper NBN providers.

Right now the NBN satellite plans are not being sold by some of the providers due to congestion of the satellite.

NBN plans to have their own satellites in the air some time in 2015, right now the service is provided by a 3rd party.

I know people with activ8 and they only experience slow-downs during really peek times.
They are just one of the many IPSTAR resellers - shop around!
The throughput is the same across them all as they have no control over the sat, just resell.
If there is a special case, then NBN is available (just the same shitty satellite service but with the free install).
Old 16-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

yep, scottymc, thats what I did at my place except I built a 12db yage to test things out, then was going to build a 16db job but ended up moding a austar dish while only 7kms from the tower, lots of trees and a washy signal halt the time but the dish boosted things nicely around 4.07 DL and 1.06 UL going by speedtest. AG is located in a really shocking area, towers are miles away with big mtns in the middle but something is getting thru on the otherside but not where he's living probably have to get a reflected signal.
\

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
yep, scottymc, thats what I did at my place except I built a 12db yage to test things out, then was going to build a 16db job but ended up moding a austar dish while only 7kms from the tower, lots of trees and a washy signal halt the time but the dish boosted things nicely around 4.07 DL and 1.06 UL going by speedtest. AG is located in a really shocking area, towers are miles away with big mtns in the middle but something is getting thru on the otherside but not where he's living probably have to get a reflected signal.
I am about 400-450m away from the 200-300m mountain directly behind me. The closest signal is in Fingal and is on the east edge of town. IMHO they could have place it on the highest mountain near Fingal not just where its convenient. Fingal is East of me. 28-30km by road. If I go to a place called Tower Hill on Cabin Rd I can get the signal using my antenna on my internet stick. This location is about 10km by road but the road is a shocker hence I don't like to go up the hill to get reception which is 1-2 bars at best using my antenna and can occasionally drop out. I can chat on my mob there (blue tick) but need to get out of my car to do it. I would be fairly happy to sit in my car at the other end of Mathinna if there was a way I could get range. My little antenna only improves reception by about 1-1.5bars. I am over spending heaps on fuel to get range. That is probably my main concern atm. Home would be ideal but any option other than what I have I will look into. My shed sits at the back of my block on the highest part maybe 4m above the road. My shed has 3m walls and maybe 4m off the ground at the apex. I only have a caravan to live in so can easily run cables through the acces door to the fridge.

Regards A