Any good tracks at/near Townsville - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Any good tracks at/near Townsville

I'm a newbie, so I hope this is works.

I've recently had to move to Townsville from Bris for work and was wondering is there are any other Wrangler / Jeep owners who live up here on the forum

Does anyone know of some good tracks / spots to camp and generally abuse an 04 Wrangler offroad around here

I've noticed that this is definately Toyata country up here, so here's hoping there's some other Jeeps out there.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2004
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try the CSIRO Flats ust south of Aligator Creek, I was posted ther 3 years ago, and regularly went to there, also near there is a place called Bald Rock, can be fun.
THe last place to try is Hidden Valley behind Paluma.

Geoff
Old 01-11-2004
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cant be hidden to bloody well now can it.
Old 28-03-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Shine,

I live in Townsville ('97 Wrangler) there are a few places you can go camping/4wdriving.

Just north there is a place calle Olera, it's a mecca for camping, not much for off road driving tho. excellent place to camp on beach and do some fishing, drinking, etc. Very popular at school holiday, long weekend times.

For 4wdriving you gotta get out west. Place called Big Bend on the burdekin river, about 1/2 hour east (i think) of Charters Towers. Excellent for camping and doing some good off road driving

Mudhunter mentioned somewhere called bald rock, i don't know of this place but about 1/2 drive west of Charters Towers a place called Flat Rock, not as good for off roading as big bend but you can have some fun there. Still had to get winched up one spot , even with dual lockers.

Email me if you want some more details, maybe even hook up for a trip sometime, my mates got Nissans and a outlander, can't keep up with the wranglers tho ! email- mazdamx@hotmail.com
Old 04-08-2005
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I was born in the area and no a few places if your intrested?
Theres plenty off good flexin places around here!
Ive had me jeep 1 week and have 900kms on it allready, 60% offroad.
Old 03-11-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been heading out to Mt Stewart when I've only got half an afternoon to spare, some decent tracks and close to town! As you're driving up the main road towards the lookout, turn right after the small bridge before you start heading uphill. Lots of sandy/rocky tracks, some quite steep - traction's the main prob! A couple of very fun sections. After my 'adventures' last week, I'll be sure to carry the winch with me from now on If you get out there, let me know what you think!
Old 03-11-2005
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi sam,
Theres a few close to town, Pm me if ya lookin for someone to get on the other end of the snatchy. Mt Stewart is not a bad drive if ya take the bad lines. Mt Louisa has some good tracks on it also.