What did you do to your Grand today (ZJ/WJ)? - Page 145 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So my mate and I both have a WH he is the gifted one and built this in the boot... the whole floor is one piece, with built in tie down points for the fridge, in built LEDs, the whole floor is a single piece its countersunk in so as not to waste any room that's why there is a big usable gap underneath the draw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_120106.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	74712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_122927.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	74713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_122942.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	74714  
Old 14-09-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Replace cigarette lighter socket with USB and more..

I have decided that there is no point in keeping the cigarette lighter (and, for that matter, the ashtray either) on my ZG GCL 1996

So went ahead and acquired a usb dual charger with voltage indicator, a aux power socket and another 2 port USB charger.

I removed the assemble (2 screws on top of display, 2 clamps on the bottom sides and disconnected the 3 connectors and removed the ashtray light from it socket.

I removed the ashtray and dismantled the face plate and drilled 2 big holes to accommodate the additional sockets.

Removed the cigarette lighter (this proved to be extremely difficult, you have to push, rotate, push) and replaced it with the dual usb charger with voltmeter.

I built a wire harness linking the 3 pair of terminals to the cigarette lighter socket (blade connectors in the socket worked fine).
I took the opportunity to add a wire harness linking the existing AUX with my CB Radio power feed and back to the permanent on AUX power connector (same with spade connectors).

All looked fine and I was very pleased with myself BUT

When I connected the harness to the cigarette lighter connector the embedded voltmeter in the new USB charger did not show anything although I had 12V+ by FLUKE avometer when tested in the cigarette lighter connector. Disconnected, checked again, still 12 but WITH the harness connected it was showing only 2V under power.
Scratched my head and reverted to the workshop PDF manual (has search!).
The cigarette lighter power is run through a small relay in the distribution board in the door pillar.
I pulled out the relay and, with a bit of effort, opened it. A puff of some sort of dust (rust?) dropped from the case - not good...
Checked the relay, was engaging OK but the resistance between the contacts was high, that was my voltage drop that made it 2V under load.
I could not find a replacement.
I could not reach the contact point as it was behind some moulded plastics in the relay assemble.

In the end I totally flooded the naked relay with electrical contact cleaner and actuated a few hundred times. This restored good contact when relay was engaged.

Well, these are my 2 cents, maybe it helps someone else as well.

Now to figuring out why the fan control with ATC works only on max

Cris
Old 18-09-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I just finished installing my King springs giving it an extra inch on top of the one inch up country lift it already had.
Old 19-09-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojciech View Post
So my mate and I both have a WH he is the gifted one and built this in the boot... the whole floor is one piece, with built in tie down points for the fridge, in built LEDs, the whole floor is a single piece its countersunk in so as not to waste any room that's why there is a big usable gap underneath the draw.
So with building a drawer/fridge system in the back of these things, what is the plan for accessing the spare wheel? Rear bar carrier? I suspect as soon as bigger tyres are used the spare won't fit in the well anyway.
Old 23-09-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Grippy buy my rims you know you want to

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...74#post1591574
Old 24-09-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaz View Post
Grippy buy my rims you know you want to

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...74#post1591574
I would love to mate but just out of the price range at the moment. A mate has just donated some JK Rims too.
Did you sell the rest of the car? What did you end up buying?
Old 24-09-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah sold the car, bought a cheaper Aurion so i could buy a house, out of interest whats you price range?
Post New Thread  Reply