(Not so) mysterious clunk from steering. - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-02-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 48 Times in 45 Posts

Never had any 'wandering' on the highway
Have you checked out your sway Bar links ?
I know one of my rear ones need replacing as the joint is a bit loose giving it a tug.
Lower control arms & joints seem OK.
Did you get an alignment done after fitting the replacement steering parts ?
Essential after messing about on steering
My JK springs shocks & front sway bar links have only got 64000 KM on them as the stock ones were replaced with AEV lift etc at 69000 KM

Just out of interest have you got an auto or manual ?
If its a manual are you still on the original clutch at that mileage ?
Old 14-02-2018
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes had the alignment done, as you say, essential after any steering stuff is done. I'll need to check the sway bar links.. good point.
I have a manual, the clutch carked it on the Bruce highway at 180k (not too bad for a DMF). I had an aftermarket DMF fitted (by a dealer believe it or not!) and it seems fine for me. The stock clutch hand the DMF "clacking" sound for about 20-30k before it gave up completely.
My worse mistake was not having the timing belt changed...the stock one lasted 200k but when it went it took out most of the top end of the motor..$3500 later ...I was back on the road.... lesson learned.
Don't forget 250k =250k kms...not miles (I'm a pom so know your thinking )

Last edited by Kiteman; 14-02-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 14-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Jeeeez you've been through plenty pain there

Got my timing belt & water pump done at 104,000 KMs for piece on mind
Hope you didn't go Crown on those parts as well
I ordered factory VM replacements
Since you've done more mileage ... out of interest, have you had to replace much else ?
Mines been through all the calipers with another rear one currently acting up, plus front bearings went at 120,000 Kms

111,000 miles out of your clutch
Got 86,000 miles (138,000KMs) on my JK, so maybe another 2 yrs+ to go on mine if I baby it ....
Old 14-02-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Just wrote a huge list and somehow it disappeared

So lets try again...
Turbo hoses
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch (as mentioned) they have to replace the DMF at the same time so I went aftermarket but its going well so far.
About to fit third set of rotors (all four)
3 draglinks.. ball joint pitman end I replaced with a quality one with grease nip so has outlasted the last two drag links.
Tie rod ends ..only replaced once so far.
Steering box was replaced under warranty for leaking.
I had to replace power steering hoses (leaking at box) with new design.
Diesel filter water detector cap.
Hand brake lever (spring broke)
Rear seat head restraints needed a fix as they got locked in the folded seat position.
Diesel tank fill pipe.. had the slow fill problem you will find on this forum.
Upper and lower front ball joints (fitted the Synergy ones so can forget them now).
About to replace the original front drive shaft UJ's.. they really are cactus now though..
Serpentine Belt.. only replaced this once so far.
All diesel injectors have been replaced at 200k (that was expensive too!)( Jeep would not start without being towed and bumped)
I have Mickey Thompson AT's (on second set now) they have been one of the best investments.
......errmmmm ..cant think of anymore right now.. but this is 10years of motoring with about 20 weekends a year offroad, on sand and some tricky bush tracks (to get to the best camping spots)...so not really complaining yet..
I know that I have a lot of replacing still to do.. particularly in the suspension area where its all starting to look a bit old.. ..like me
Old 15-02-2018
CrawlerStar

"Diesel filter water detector cap."

Do you mean the water separator that holds the fuel filter ??

I've heard of a couple of reports of failure / 'melting' on these
Fuel filter on mine is due for a change so maybe get new unit that comes with Fuel filter attached

Mines a 2007 build but registered 2009 (stood on Chrysler's parking lot for 2 years before selling off cheap)

Turbo hoses still seem OK on mine still quite soft.
Will check out those power steering hoses you mentioned.
Replaced ball joints with factory mopar when I got the U-joints replaced. at around 120,000 KMs Still seemed OK after all those miles, but worth doing while it was all pulled apart.
Hotter climate conditions in Australia to UK so I guess quicker deterioration of rubber hoses etc.

Good list of stuff to watch out for as the miles increase on mine .. thanks

If there is anything you left out of your 'comprehensive' list post it up
Old 15-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
"Diesel filter water detector cap."

Do you mean the water separator that holds the fuel filter ??

I've heard of a couple of reports of failure / 'melting' on these
Fuel filter on mine is due for a change so maybe get new unit that comes with Fuel filter attached
I would presume Kiteman was referring to the little cap/tap on the very bottom of the fuel filter. It has a plug/sensor that attaches to it. This sensor is the 'water in fuel' sensor and when it lights up on the dash, you're supposed to stop the vehicle, unplug the sensor, and undo the tap/cap which will drain any water (and all the diesel in the fuel filter) that has collected in the 'water trap/separator' (very bottom) part of the fuel filter.

It is very common that these sensors and wiring plug get damaged and also the cap/tap as well, quite often they have been done up too tight, or dirt and mud has caked them on, or people don't undo the plug/sensor first and try to undo the tap/cap by unscrewing it and then brake the sensor etc. So that is why I would presume that is what Kiteman was referring to replacing.

The overheating/melting issues that you're referring to is to do with the heating element that is in the supply side if the fuel filter housing (what the fuel filter screws into). It heats up the fuel being supplied from the fuel tank, this is important for colder climates where the diesel may be below zero degrees.

The issue you've heard of is that because the heating element is used every time the Jeep starts (and stays on for a short while) regardless of ambient temps it can melt the fuel filter housing as it might be a 40+ degree day in our Aussie climate.. The 2012+ models have a metal fuel filter housing so it cannot be melted now. My solution to this issue on my 2009 was to disconnect the plug to the heating element so that it never turns on.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 15-02-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 15-02-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

What Turismo is saying about the filter housing/water sensor is correct.. I hadn't even touched mine and was getting intermittent water in fuel warnings on the dash so went underneath to take a look and the wiring was just about to break right where it goes into the cap... every time a splash of water got on it the warning would go off as it was shorting the sensor wiring. I don't think I have the heater on my 08..probably not fitted in the Aus market.. but saying that it still gets well below zero in lots of parts of Aus in winter!...
The Turbo hoses on the earlier (pre 10' I think) did not have silicon hoses and were notorious for splitting after a the bit of oil contamination you get inside them had eaten its way out..
Post New Thread  Reply