Engine conversions. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

LS etc are cheap, but what a nightmare it is to fit into a RHD jeep let alone tie it into existing harness, then the drama and cost of getting a roady is just a joke.

I have been looking at a stroker myself lately (9.25:1 compression) as the engine swap to something like an LS is just too much time and hassle in this state (QLD). Tititan do a 4.8l stroker that seems to be pretty darn good and is only missing some basics you already have (like water pump), just need to bolt it together which will reduce shipping costs. This would mean all the other engine upgrades (exhaust, intake, ceramic coating, MAP sensor controller, O2 sensor controller, TB, coil & ignition) would just bolt on.

Titan Performance/ Off Road 4.8 Engine Kit contains:
• Reconditioned and Machined block
o Bored and steel sleeved to 4 inch.
o Each cylinder has been sleeved to assure dependability
o Blast cleaned
o Magna fluxed checked for cracks
o Power honed for a moly ring finish.
• Custom made Keith Black Forged Pistons
• Hastings Moly Rings
• King Rod Bearings
• King Main Bearings
• Cam bearings installed
o Performance oil reserve bearings)
• Comp Cam
o We offer grinds to suit your
• Melling Valve Lifters
• NEW Titan Performance Stroker Head
o New casting
o Re-machine the heads to achieve the best possible Jeep head for the money
o Cut the intake valve ports to accept the Chevrolet 1.94 intake valve
o Cut the exhaust valve ports to accept the Chevrolet 1.5 exhaust valve
o Seats cut with 3 degrees angle for maximum sealing capabilities
o Bore the guide from 8mm to 11/32 for the stainless steel valves
o GM 1.94 Stainless Steel Swirl Polished Intake Valve
o GM 1.50 Stainless Steel Swirl Polished Exhaust Valve
o Teflon Valve Stem Seals
o VS943 Performance Valve Spring (seat pressure 107lbs.)
o 24-PF555HD Performance Hardened Valve Locks
o GM Performance Valve Retainers
o CBN surface the head to assure a perfect mating surface for the MLS gasket.
o Head comes fully assemblled
o Flow tested and flowed Exhaust 146CFM @ .500 Lift and 130CFM @.300 Lift Intake 214CFM @ .500 Lift and 177CFM@.300 Lift
• Felpro MLS Gasket Set
• True Single Roller Chain Set
• Brass Freeze Plugs
• Precision Titan Stroker Crankshaft
• Melling Oil Pump
• Mellings Oil Pump Pick Up
• Blueprinted Connecting rods

Waiting to hear back from Tititan if some other things are included (like rockers harmonic balancer) and some other details on brands, based on their smaller 4.6 output it seems to indicate that this motor will output both torque and horsepower at over 300 which would be a nice little jump in power without needing new diffs again...

Last edited by Redemptioner; 19-09-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 21-09-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Redemption, Save your money, dont waste it on a stroker.

Mine was a 4.7 in a 5 speed TJ.
Sure it went well, had more torque and in gear roll on acceleration than a stocker.
Was it fast? Nope.
Did it turn it into some sort of race car? Nope
Did it drink more fuel than a stock one? yep.
Did the stroker cost a heap? Yep.

Worth it overall? Not a chance. maybe a 15-20 % increase on a stocker. Any other claims by the kit makers is BS. 300HP? Doubt it.
Increasing capacity by 20% isn't going to polish the turd till it shines, although you may think its been rolled in glitter.

Standard they were:
1992 - 2002 190hp @ 4,750 225Nm @ 4,000*
2003- on 190hp 235Nm

Keep the stock motor in good tune with TB, extractors, good leads and plugs.

Or go an LS.
Genright and the like in the USA do LS conversion kits.
Or speak to someone here that has done a few LS conversions.
If youre in Melbourne, Andy at Yellingbo Auto may assist.

Last edited by Richo; 21-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 21-09-2017
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Redemption, Save your money, dont waste it on a stroker.

Mine was a 4.7 in a 5 speed TJ.
Sure it went well, had more torque and in gear roll on acceleration than a stocker.
Was it fast? Nope.
Did it turn it into some sort of race car? Nope
Did it drink more fuel than a stock one? yep.
Did the stroker cost a heap? Yep.

Worth it overall? Not a chance. maybe a 15-20 % increase on a stocker. Any other claims by the kit makers is BS. 300HP? Doubt it.
Increasing capacity by 20% isn't going to polish the turd till it shines, although you may think its been rolled in glitter.

Standard they were:
1992 - 2002 190hp @ 4,750 225Nm @ 4,000*
2003- on 190hp 235Nm

Keep the stock motor in good tune with TB, extractors, good leads and plugs.

Or go an LS.
Genright and the like in the USA do LS conversion kits.
Or speak to someone here that has done a few LS conversions.
If youre in Melbourne, Andy at Yellingbo Auto may assist.
Yeah I hear what you are saying, but it also means trying to tie it into the harness, add another ecu, then new headers and exhaust, pedals, airbox work, radiator and cooling pipes, body lift, egine mounts, shifter brackets, front & rear driveshafts, mod plate...... you are dreaming under 15k.

190hp new, the 4.7's strokers are reliably 275hp that's a 45% increase over stock, take another 40hp off for any TJ that has been used and you have a 83% increase. That's a lot considering it is drop in and go and that is before you talk about the torque coming in sooner and also being higher. If you are starting from a position of a well-worn motor the $3kUSD is pretty good for around 300hp (assuming you can build an engine), it also means you are not off the road longer than a day.

Last edited by Redemptioner; 21-09-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 25-09-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Was a guy on one of the facebook pages who posted the other day. Said he would do an ls swap for 8-10 if i suplied the engine.. still to expencive for me but if its in ur budget might be worth taking him up on it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017
Full Flexer

So after spending what most would consider ridiculous amounts of time researching and talking to different engine builders over the last few months, I decided to go with a motor built by the Mac-daddy of strokers, Russ Pottenger.

Approximately 4.7 ltr, all the good stuff like forged internals, roller rockets, porting ect, compression in the 9's and 325hp/400lbft and most importantly, I can't find a single person who would utter a single word other than praise for the work this guy does. He tried to stop me wasting money on some things including the build work and freight, but in the end end I know if he builds it I shouldn't have any troubles.

Why not the others;
Titan - Happy to build their basic kits but would not build their larger engine kits, that too me said volumes about their work and quality of the kit. Also some pretty bad reviews out their, although by people who home built mostly.

505 Performance - Pretty slow on the response, did not answer pretty much any of the questions I asked and the responses that were given were very short. Bad reviews out there although most of these seem to pretty old.

JeepEngines Australia - No response via contact page, email or phone. From what I can see, buying an engine from these guys is about the same price as one from Russ, only much lower spec.

Other Engine builders - not many people in Australia doing anything with jeep engines, sure there are some great engine builders around but without the experience in stroking jeep engines they would just have to follow some other companies instructions anyways.

Will be a couple weeks before it gets built (a few motors on his built sheet, no surprise there), then another month on a boat, will update when it comes in. For now, I better get back on the street corner and earn some more money........buy a jeep they said....
Old 09-10-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Did you consider getting a Mopar Performance crate engine?
http://moparproshop.com/jeep_stroker_engines

Last edited by geocrawler; 09-10-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2017
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocrawler View Post
Did you consider getting a Mopar Performance crate engine?
http://moparproshop.com/jeep_stroker_engines
Yeah I dismissed them pretty quickly, these are ATK engines, they are pretty high in the price range for what you get and reviews suggest their lifespan may not be so good, but mainly because they were well down on power compared to the others for the price. I put golden in this class as well, they have a reasonable package but it is overpriced and both companies seem to really suck when it comes to warranties. Also both these companies are "set package", so no ability to have things adjusted to suit your needs.

Russ builds engines for king of the hammer so he knows how to make an engine that loves the limiter