Rear drum conundrum. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Rear drum conundrum.

Hey all

Replaced my drum shoes, wheel cylinders, all springs and self adjuster hardware.

I have adjusted them accordingly, getting them to work well. Adjusters do sit correctly, then after driving, the leg bit which stops the star wheel spinning moves out of whack and doesn't stop movement of the wheel. A bit of movement of the drum liners with the drum off and it gets back into position. I also have an inconsistent pedal, the brakes have been bled. I feel this is due to the rear brakes, as the handbrake goes soft and hard too...

I also installed the 'strut' upside down, how it's stepped so it avoids the axle shaft. It makes no difference in the install, but I am not sure if it rides on the wheel cylinder to keep things aligned. Pic below of one installed properly. The direction of the spring is right but the curve is upside down. Anyone able to let me know if this is an issue?

Cheers all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201103-001803_Chrome.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	79146  
Old 03-11-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Mt guess is this - https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/...ust-read.1987/
Old 03-11-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
Mines like that. I held the metal guide in place with skinny vice grips while putting the spring on. The pedal feels super inconsistent to be honest. Sometimes good other times I have to push the pedal too far. It seems related to the use of the handbrake.
Old 03-11-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Here’s a pic of mine before I got rid of them.
Best thing I ever did was replace them with rear discs.

Also, check the rails that the front pads sit on. If these are grooved, the pads can hang up and affect the pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Hamish your install looks correct to me
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 03-11-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Does your self adjuster turn the right way? That is the one shown in the pic should be lengthening when the adjusting blade pulls up. both rear brakes use adjusters the are opposite threaded, on the side shown LH thread the opposite side RH thread. The system is simple and been used a long time and usually trouble free my 1970 Dodge Charger has an almost identical mechanism.
The spreader bar is only part of the hand brake system it doesn't play a part in the self adjuster.

Last edited by Classic Boy; 03-11-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2020
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

One thing that is sometimes missed is the seating of the cable guide. It should be sat flat against the steel of the shoe if the lip is sat in the hole correctly, and isn't always obvious. If it isn't sat correctly the adjuster could potentially unwind.

The lip on the guide should also be checked for fractures. I've seen it before when cleaning the brakes. If the lip fractures and breaks, the guide can slip and the cable slacken. The guide needs to be removed to check for fractures around the lip, for flush fit you can try and slip a feeler gauge or piece of paper behind it.
Post New Thread  Reply