My XJ 3" Lift & Locker instal - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Get crutch rubbers from Clark Rubber to replace the original bumpstups.

Green Jeep Mobile
What are crutch rubbers? Do you have a pic of this set up?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The spartan locker & seals were from dave at wooders. I had it the day after i payed. Couldnt be more happy with that
Old 23-02-2012
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty577 View Post
Thanks JJ

I removed the one standard front bump stop that was left. Im going in today to find a cheap rubber mellet I can cut in two and silcone them onto the coil base plates. Will standard size bump stops be fine for the front? I still plan to run the 253s for a while. Also the standard rear bump stop are in good condition.

I will check where it bottoms out first. The bracket came with the kit and seems to be doing a good job at bringing the diff into line. Is it better to redrill a hole like gojeep?
You need to make sure that the shocks (if longer than stock) don't bottom out before the bump stops do so you need to make sure that it is all set properly.

As for the panhard you need to make sure that you downtravel is limited BEFORE the panhard's balljoint runs out of travel otherwise it will destroy it's self. Now you are running aftermarket arms the down travel is increases significantly with no mechanical limit being offered by the arms like it is when stock so now you only mechanical limit will be which ever of the following run out of travel first, brake lines, shocks or panhard.....

My advice if you wanna do it properly is to disconnect the panhard and jack up the body with the wheels removed and allow full droop and make sure everything is ok before you go flexing too much, if it is your shocks that are the mechanical down limit then remove the springs and just leave the shocks fitted and then jack up the drivers side till it runs out of travel whilst keeping a close eye on the upper control arm position, when it starts getting close to tranny lines have a look at the length of bumpstop required to prevent contact with some room for just in case and then you will know what length bumpstops you need.
Also while it is at full droop check to see if the panhard will line up with the mounting hole or not, it will become very obvious very quickly if it is going to be a problem or not....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-02-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks JJ going to put her up on stands and check everything you said... Will get back to you with the results.

Also the ride is excellent, on road it feels alot better then the standard gear.

The locker is invisible in 2wd, I can hear faint clicking going around corners with the stereo off and window down. Only thing it does is on a fast full lock turn it clunks a little, Im guessing unlocking under load, but apparently will get better as it "brakes in" its already stopped doing as much after 50km. Quick test in my driveway in 4low and it locks up nicely.

Last edited by rusty577; 23-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 23-02-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Put her up on stands and with the the sway bar connected it limits the drop, but with it disconnected my brake line on the the drivers side gets tight at full drop and looks like the panhard rod limits the passenger side before the brake line on the side gets tight.

I pulled the springs and found the limit before it hit the lines and bump stopped to suit that.

Looks like I wont be disconnecting until I sort out what to do with the panhard rod. I think with the brakes Ill be able to make a drop bracket and straighten out the hard line thats there. That might give me enough room to get full drop.

Donno what to do about the panhard rod. Do aftermarket ones come with a more flexiable joint or something?

Id like to take advantage of all the extra drop from the LCA's

Some Pic's from when I was done, Sway bar still connected

Last edited by rusty577; 23-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 23-02-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome build mate
Old 23-02-2012
MonsterMoose

Wooders sell a bracket that will work well with your relocation bracket but you will need an adjustable panhard rod to make use of it, basically you set the ball joint to vertical instead of horizontal so therefor offering far more travel from the panhard and using the relocation bracket that you already have will stop the diff bottoming out on the panhard like mine does....

Looks like you are getting there, was that glasshouse in he last pics? Looking quite muddy, you will need some MT/R's next.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply