Fckin PO bullshit! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Angry Fckin PO bullshit! (Dash PWR socket wiring)

Still trying to track down why my UConnect system clock resets if I don't drive the car for 3 days. Thought I would check the power supply to the radio head unit. Yup, 12v permanent power always on the big yellow wire. Ran some small wire and a 12v red LED to the outside to see if I can tell when that 'permanent' power might get disconnected by the PCM for some reason (low battery voltage?) I can see the LED from outside the car without unlocking the doors.

Strange part is, the clock doesn't reset back to '0:00'. I'll get in the car at 8:24am, and the clock will say '22:35', or something similarly 10-15 hours out.

But while I had the dash out, found this:
Some arsehole had wired all the rear sockets to the front 20Amp circuit powering the dash cig lighter socket. Just look at the size of the wires they connected to the factory wiring, and not just one splice off, TWO! And just wires soldered and wrapped in electrical tape. At least they were soldered I guess. I've seen bare wires just wrapped around the feed and taped over.

So I didn't expect to spend Saturday morning re-wiring my dash, GPS, CB, USB Charger, and rear Fridge power sockets...... but I thought I had better after finding this.
And also discovered depending on which of tweo positions you put the fuse in, you can have that socket as switched with ACC, or Permanent! Cool! Especially for those times I want to leave batteries/radios/phones charging in the car whilst locked.

Last edited by Wiz.au; 29-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 29-04-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Having a similar issue with mine. Have the noFUSE warning on my dash and it is linked to the PO wiring the "stereo" (and more behind the dash) into the cigg lighter with snot and prayers. I have had a few used Jeeps at this point and I try to factor in a few hundred bucks and about 6 months of unf*cking whatever the PO did. This last one though, they did something with my wiring and it is blowing my M13 fuse immediately and I am having a hell of a time finding and exorcising that demon...

Not sure why the radio does that. As I have been tracking down my gremlins I notice when I plug the terminals back in the stereo itself will reset to 06:13 or something odd like that. Not sure why it does that, but there's that for whatever it's worth to you.

Glad you got that fixed - that is a problem waiting to happen for sure!
Old 29-04-2019
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Not good mate, the most I did on mine was to run a single (similar gauge to factory) active wire from the cig outlet to activate a relay that did all the real work. Would be real sad if this was done by a “professional”. [emoji26]
Old 05-05-2019
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

External LED stays lit, for as far as I can see each time I checked it. Clock reset again this week after just 3 days. Got in the car at around 10am, clock had changed and said it was 21:35hrs.

But if I start/drive the car every day, clock stays on time. It's definately around 3 days when it 'goes'.

Going to have to get the pin assignments of the stereo connector and see if clock power is coming from somewhere else other than the big yellow permanent 12v power.

There isn't a lithium coin/button cell battery for the clock somewhere is there? I have seen that on other devices, so that when you disconnect the main battery, it keeps all the radio stations, programming, and time.

I've googled time and time again for UConnect clock reset and found NOTHING. Maybe I can email them? Do they have a support contact?
Old 06-05-2019
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

And it turns over and starts up right away? I do hate electrical gremlins. Isn't a battery drain, so that is something.

All I can think of off the top of my head is if you have a weak battery when cranking the engine up, all the power is used up for that - there is a big voltage drop. For a moment, its like the clock is disconnected from the battery. Hence getting reset. So maybe next time just turn the key to ACC and see if the clock is correct before giving it a crank.

Good luck, man. I was going to attack my electrical noFUSE issue again this weekend but didn't feel like getting that angry. Maybe next weekend.
Old 06-05-2019
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks. I'm sure I've tried that, but I'll do it again. Wait 3 days when I can, turn on ACC, check the clock. But part of me thinks I have already done this, exactly for the reasons you mention, and the clock had still reset, before I had even hit the starter.

It's getting so that I can't even remember "Did I fix the time on the clock, or did I not worry about it?" as there are now times I just use the clock on the GPS, and don't set the time on the UConnect unit to the correct time, cause I just couldn't be arsed again, every time I get in the car.
Old 06-05-2019
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like madness. Definitely electrical.

Honestly it may just be a head unit issue as well. Had a quick google around and some other people have had the clock unit or the whole head unit replaced and it seemed to work. May be able to find a cheap one on Gumtree. I actually got a double DIN Panasonic bells and whistles one for about $230 at JB Hi Fi of all places in an attempt to fix my wiring issues. Didn't fix the issues, but is very shiny and much louder.