2.5 vm top mount intercooler. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 2.5 vm top mount intercooler.

Hi guys been scouring around and cant find anyone who has done this. My intercooler hoses are pretty average and wanting to spend the $180 for new hoses on a possible improvement instead. Can anyone offer any advice?

cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 16-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

I wouldn't get a top-mount, instead I would figure out how to fit a front mount.
Or just go to somebody who builds exhaust and ask them to build your intercooler pipes.
Old 16-11-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjlo View Post
Hi guys been scouring around and cant find anyone who has done this. My intercooler hoses are pretty average and wanting to spend the $180 for new hoses on a possible improvement instead. Can anyone offer any advice?

cheers

I have been contemplating this too. Mounting the intercooler like in the Hilux or Patrol with a bonnet scoop to capture the air when driving at speed to keep it cool.
I thought it would be more efficient?

Any way, i have put that on the too hard to do list.

Eddy
Old 16-11-2015
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
I wouldn't get a top-mount, instead I would figure out how to fit a front mount.
Or just go to somebody who builds exhaust and ask them to build your intercooler pipes.
i did consider this. the factory ones tend to rub out on everything the squeeze past. something durable or cheaper to replace is the idea. you think i would get change from 180.

on another note has anyone seen them cheaper.

Old 16-11-2015
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
I have been contemplating this too. Mounting the intercooler like in the Hilux or Patrol with a bonnet scoop to capture the air when driving at speed to keep it cool.

Eddy
mounting would be the hard part and finding a suitably priced and sized intercooler . need some heat shield from engine bay heat and a scoop. i do like a challenge

Old 16-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Do a front mount if you like a challenge
If you're going through the work to do it, make sure you get the best possible solution. Why not install a air-water intercooler? More complicated than both solutions but very efficient
I've always seen top-mounts susceptible to heat soak and not as efficient as front mounts, more like a compromise.
And in the case of the VM, the intake is on the same side as the turbo outlet, which makes it a bit more difficult.
Old 16-11-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post

Eddy
Front mount is more efficient than top, I read a while ago that a top mount needs to be 4 times the size as a front mount to work the same, biggest problem with top mount is heat soak at slow speeds.