Chip Tuning Boxes, Do they work? which is best for our Jeeps? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-03-2024
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Chip Tuning Boxes, Do they work? which is best for our Jeeps?

Hi Folks

I have been looking into Chip tuning boxes.

I drive anywhere between 150 to 300Klm a day city driving for work,
and the fuel cost is about $200 to $350 a week, so i would like to reduce that if a can.

some of these devices claim a fuel saving of between 5 to 10%,
some claim 5 to 15%, the more expensive units claim up to 30% fuel saving.

so far i have found three main types that do not permanently remap your ECU,
you can revert to original setup by just removing them.

1) Peddle boxes= connects between the GO peddle sender and the ECU.

2) OBDII port connection= plugs into your OBDII port.

3) MAF sensor= connects between your MAF sensor and ECU.

they all have a learning period before you see any real change in performance and economy,
around 100 to 200 klm, or 1 to 2 weeks depending on the unit.

They range in price from around $50.00 to $900.00

My questions are as follows

1) have any of you used one?

2) Do they actually work?

3) Which one works best with our Jeeps?

Any input would be helpful folks

You Cant Fix Stupid, Even with Duct Tape!

Last edited by MoparFan; 16-03-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 16-03-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,898 Times in 2,306 Posts

Unless they are specifically calibrated for the WK2 engine then they are probably snake oil ........... Many things will effect the economy starting with tyres, tyre pressure and driving style, air filter changes is another ...... Mine the recomended tyre pressure is 33psi, if I used that my fuel economy would be thru the roof, far too low....

Since its got a few years on it I would be chucking a injector cleaner in the system for awhile to clear any gunk.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-03-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,285 Times in 740 Posts

MoparFan...yours has the V6 Petrol engine..if you put up some evic displayed fuel figures...ie: Lts/100klm. shown on the evic...other forum members with the V6 Petrol may be able to let you know how close you are to getting 'reasonable' mileage...experience with 'tune boxes/kits/chips' have shown the more $$$ you spend the better the results....BUT...you really need a GOOD Techwiz to fit it, boot it, tune it, test it, retune it and stay in contact with them for future testing...yep, some guys get lucky or have the tech skill needed to get it right first time....some guys...some times.
Murchisons in Brendale Qld have a tune/chip thats readily available...I'd also speak with GDL Auto in Sydney.
Any petrol engine will respond to air intake and exhaust mods to provide better power, hence fuel economy...free flow in and out reduces fuel use. Tyre pressures as Drover stated is also a big factor...more air....less 'grip/friction' easier movement less fuel...check out Banks Engineering in the States...they are Jeep gurus and may have some info online for you.
There will be members on here that could suggest which 'chip/tune' they have experience with...just remember...if your gonna try to push more horesepower out of an engine which hasnt been modded to take the extra load the end result will be the end result..if you get me.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 16-03-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 16-03-2024
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFan View Post
Hi Folks

and the fuel cost is about $200 to $350 a week, so i would like to reduce that if a can.

they all have a learning period before you see any real change in performance and economy,

Snake oil go to utube look at big Clive he opens a few economy devices that plug in the obd2 port they are little more than blinking led’s and associated circuits.
Old 17-03-2024
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFan View Post
Hi Folks

Pedal boxes I assume you mean like the throttle controllers? If so they will do nothing for economy. Basically same as you just more slowly accelerating with your foot. Don't waste your money for what you are after.

MAF sensor ones have been around for years. I used one in my V6 commodore back in the day. Also will not change economy. They are basically a resistor in line that make the ECU think the MAF is reading colder air so it adjusts the tune accordingly. Not worth the money in wasted fuel.

I don't have much experience in the OBD hand controller tuners mainly used in the US but have heard they are ok. Basically only adjust basic paramaters like boost and if more expensive fuel rail pressure. Not the best but ok.

Spend the money on a proper ECU remap or Unichip. Unichip is a proper hardwired "piggy back" ECU but it opens up far more parameters and allows for timing adjustment along with boost and fuel rail etc. Had one on a R51 Pathfinder for years and worked great. This was before remaps became popular

ECU remap is the best in my opinion. It will give you the best results for what you are looking for. Will cost between $1200-2000 depending on who does it. Safely changes all factory ECU parameters. You will get better economy because the engine is making more power more efficiently. Usual gains are 20% power and 25% torque roughly and is generally what I have seen in every car I have remapped over the years. Catch is, if you begin to like power increase and use it, your economy will go down because you will be using more fuel to satisfy your right foot. Longer pay back time but with your amount of driving, won't be that long.

Poor man pays twice as they say. Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 17-03-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,285 Times in 740 Posts

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here....MoparFans WK2 has the V6 Petrol engine....no boost...and fuel rail values wont apply...as GC Dingo said.... $1200-2k is ball park...then the enticement of the extra 'get up n go' will be your challenge...dont use it n you'll save fuel.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 17-03-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,898 Times in 2,306 Posts

Yep but first a cleaner................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply