possible potential for camper trailer - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-10-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default possible potential for camper trailer

just got my hands on this trailer cheap

ill get some other pics up of it soon.

only surface rust throughout which i have started to treat and clean.

thinking wether this has the potential for a camper trailer.

just like to be able to sleep in a camper if i was to have one.

3 essentials for camper for me...kitchen, storage and bed ...

any thoughts or anybody like to be creative ..open to suggestions
ill get some better detailed pics up in the next few days which should help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	22287   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	22288  
Old 29-10-2007
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Turn the tongue box into a pull out kitchen (slide it out sideways), lower the sides of the trailer but keep the lid top, maybe drop it down so the end of the lid is level with the guard (that'll still leave a ton of storage) and then put one of these popups on top. Do it so the tongue box/kitchen can be removed. This way you can take the popup off and the tongue box and still have a normal trailer with lid.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve F; 29-10-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 29-10-2007
RIP 1.12.07

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like as good a place to start as any . .

Budget is a good thing to have a clue on but I'll give you my 2c worth anyway . .

1) loose the tradesman's lid & framework, great for storage, not too comfy to sleep in!!
2) Get a flat lid made for the front toolbox, use that for tools / fuel / gas etc
3) get a (strong) flat lid made for the main body, hinged on the drivers side so the whole lid lifts. And you have ample storage in the main body of the trailer
4) put a roof top tent on the main body.
5) add chains to your tailgate, so it is supported horizontally, then you can have a kitchen "slide out" the rear, with the tailgate acting as a seat / table
6) Depending on clearance / ride height, do a spring over axle change, and you might end up with enough room for a 150mm deep water tank direckly over the axle, under the floor . .

if there's only 1, or 2 of you, and its mostly overnight stays, you should have a great time, and get change from $1000 . .

I am in process of doing most of the above, My lid is being made now, I have kept with the tradesman style, but had them made @ 15°C from vertical, so I still end up with 1050mm flat roof, for a roof top tent . .and the whole thing sits 5' high on the road, before the tent etc.

obviously clean paint etc.

Too many choices . . .

Last edited by Cj's TJ; 29-10-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 29-10-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the ideas so far ...they are great.

whats the tongue box ? you mean the rear of the trailer? its actually a sealed unit.

i guess i need to weigh up how it will cost to get a decent camper out of it or just go out and buy one

i like the suggestions so far. will have to speak to someone in sydney that does work like this.

seems like a really strong and sturdy trailer.
Old 29-10-2007
So play on just play on

The tongue box is that steel box without a lid in fron tof the main section.

Cheers
Steve
Old 29-10-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

aahhh gotcha .. yeh i thought about putting the kitchen there. seems like a good spot.

but also looks like a good spot for tools, gear, battery perhaps
Old 29-10-2007
So play on just play on

I guess it depends if you want it to serve as a dual purpose trailer. Make the tongue box the camper section, eg kitchen, battery etc etc and leave the main section empty for storage and normal trailer use.

Cheers
Steve