WJ Cooling - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatrowe
mine is also a 99 wj,it has 2 fans ,one viscous coupling off the front of the motor plus an electric one inside the fan shroud ,is this standard for this model its a v8 also.i think when the gauge hits about 105 the electric one kicks in,are all the other 99s the same as this ?
it doesnt take much for it to hit 105 either ,will run tuncurry beach near forster next week to see how long it takes to get hot.
that is the standard set up
Ive had similar problems found the clutch had died
the electic fan only comes on when car gets realy hot
(in mine anyway)

Ive done quite a bit of heavy towing with mine and on a steep hill
the temp only jumps up a little
mine sits right on the 100 mark (middle of the guage) all the time

when the engine fan cuts in it realy makes a lot of noise
also check when you rev the engine when its hot the fan pics up speed

just check that the cores look clean on the radiator and free of mud

Do you have a bull bar?
the first of the arb bars are all closed in hence why bill has the scoop on the bottom the later ones are more open around the bottom

but my money is the clutch on the fan is kaput
Old 06-01-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Beaches and plastic tanks

Mines a 4.0 lt and it also has a viscous coupling fan and a thermo mounted inside the shroud. Although I still have not found a temp switch that turns it on and it doesn't seem to come on with the aircon either.
When I was speeaking with my local NATRAD dealer he said that the radiators withthe plastic tank are only good for 7-8 years before the tank goes brittle from the inside.
After looking at the one I blew the side out of I would have to agree with him on that.
So beware the beach and any situation that loads the motor or trans and increases heat in the radiator.
My next mission is to place a PWR transmission cooler in the system to take a bit more heat out of it.

Cheers and good runnin up the beach.
Old 06-01-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatrowe
it has 2 fans ,one viscous coupling off the front of the motor plus an electric one inside the fan shroud
Had a look through the service manual and this is the standard set up for all V8 WJ/WG's with the electric fan cutting in on demand (when higher temps are reached).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Trenchard
When I was speeaking with my local NATRAD dealer he said that the radiators withthe plastic tank are only good for 7-8 years before the tank goes brittle from the inside.
I had the same thing happen to me recently and had my radiator replaced. Mine split where the plastic tank clamps to the core (and the radiator guy said basically the same thing about plastic tanks). The leak wasn't that bad but it quickly got worse (especially after I pressure tested the radiator). Any way the radiator is working fine with no problems (temp is fractionly lower)
Old 16-01-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just got back ,towed a trailer to forster and back with 2 dirt bikes and a husky ride on mower on,the gauge climbed just looking at hills which was a worry it got into the 120 range a few times which is a bit worrying didnt run the beach coz i didnt want to push my luck think ill get it flushed and new coolant and take it from there
Old 17-01-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Transmission cooler fitted

Evening all, status of cooling system since installing transmission cooler has been excellent. At present the Jeep is running at about 85 degrees C on highway and about 95 - 102 degrees C if stuck in traffic or dawdling along in the vinyards on a 40+ day.
Since fitting the cooler however the time taken for the temp to rise has increased a substantial amount .
Does anyone out there have a temp for when the electric thermo fan is supposed to cut in. As I am uncertain whether mine is actually cutting in at all. The fan works when powered from a remote source so I know it will operate. I considered shorting out the wiring at the sensor which is supposed to be located on the passenger side rear of block but can not see it down there anywhere so I still don't know if the temp sensor is activating the relayand thereby the fan. Clues or hints here greatly appreciated lady's and gentlemen.

Cheers all
Capt T
1999 WJ 4.0
Old 18-01-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mine seems to cut in at about 105 but thats a v8 ,should be near that point
Post New Thread  Reply