Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captured1 View Post
Update for everyone -newly fitted transfer case actuator is still working after 2 weeks,will continue to check 4lo operation and will report back- heading up shark bay on Friday with camper so it better work if I get in the sh@t.

FYI - picked up a new unflashed compatible Final Drive Control Module online for $150 just in case this latest fix doesn't last- if they can't/won't fix it properly then I will- fingers crossed I won't have to install FDCM but $150 to get my true 4x4 back is cheap I reckon.

Good luck to all you other victims of crime out there!
Is your Commander silver? I was up at Shark Bay last week and may have seen you on the road. We were in my wife's red KJ possibly towing our camper trailer also. Great part of the world!
Old 27-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Hmm. I just took mine out for a quick wheel and got the "Service 4WD System" message, but still had low range. The 4WD Low Traction Control lights still showed and my low range worked as per normal. Confirmed it's still working when I got home, but the warning message won't go away. Anyone else had this?
Old 28-07-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Grimes View Post
Hmm. I just took mine out for a quick wheel and got the "Service 4WD System" message, but still had low range. The 4WD Low Traction Control lights still showed and my low range worked as per normal. Confirmed it's still working when I got home, but the warning message won't go away. Anyone else had this?
yep, it means something else in the 4WD system is a miss. More than likely a wheel speed sensor has decided it passed it's used by date. A very common problem that's cheap and easy to fix.
Just do a scan on your fault codes via a cheap OBD-II V1.5 Bluetooth unit ex Ebay and the free Torque App for your iPhone or Android and it'll tell you what the problem is and which sensor maybe playing up.
Old 29-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks Multi - just ordered a scanner and downloaded the app.
Old 05-08-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
new update released this week, supposed to fix no low after N23
Just got home from a trip upto 40mile beach.
When I was there I tried low range a few times and it finally failed 'service 4wd' alarm came up.
Removed fuse 25, drove a few metres reinstalled fuse, all o.k again.

It is strange that removing the fuse re sets the problem, what info do you have on the 'fix'.

The fuse removal and reinstallation solving the problem would appear to rule out a cracked cct board.
I wonder if the problem is caused by a sticking actuator mechanism, that when operated doesn't move, thereby throwing the feedback loop into fault mode?
It could be caused by low range not being excercised enough, or maybe when it is selected there is enough diff windup to cause too much stiction.
It will be interesting to hear what problem the 'fix' overcomes.

At least they have decided to fix it.
Old 05-08-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

service bulletin part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
4low is locked out when the FDCM detects a variance in the 5volts coming from the T/C motor.
Pulling the fuse clears the base level voltage putting the fault code into a stored state (not active but still there).
Hence low range works until the 5 volts goes out of spec again.

I speculate that jeep have increased the tolerance in the 5volt variation so will be less sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
Old 05-08-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That makes sense Clarky, thanks for the info.
I will get in touch with Jeep and see if the update is available.
Post New Thread  Reply