Diesel xj stalling - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-07-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezel View Post
Do you always/commonly engine brake? This would always make my car stall -- Even not *braking* per-se (driving along, in gear and take foot off throttle [coasting in gear] is in essence same trigger for stall).

I found that if I changed my driving style to never do this then I never had issues with check engine/stall.
- mine would always immediately start straight up again.

Sounds like your problems may well be different, in which case adjusting the idle seems like it's worth while.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes I do engine brake more often than not. I think I might have tried your driving technique before and it didn't seem to have an effect. I'll give it another go just to be sure anyway.
Old 31-07-2018

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
If after it has stalled when up to temp & you restart it, does it idle ok? That is about 850 rpm with your feet not on any peddle? If it does idle properly in this situation, increasing the idle by moving the lid may not help. Does the pressure control fitting, the banjo bolt connecting the return line to the IP work properly? I am clutching at straws with my suggestions now, but it is possible that if very little fuel is being used when the internal lift pump is working hard it could cause a problem.
Yea it seems to idle like normal. I have a cheap obd 2 device that seems to give the exact RPMs so ill plug that in sometime in the next couple of days and let you know.

I don't want to sound like too much of an amateur (which I probably am) but how exactly would I be able to tell if the pressure control fitting and banjo bolt work properly?
Old 31-07-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arotovegan View Post
Yea it seems to idle like normal. I have a cheap obd 2 device that seems to give the exact RPMs so ill plug that in sometime in the next couple of days and let you know.

I don't want to sound like too much of an amateur (which I probably am) but how exactly would I be able to tell if the pressure control fitting and banjo bolt work properly?
Not amateur at all. I dont know of an exact procedure.
with the engine running you could loosen the return hose off the fitting & make sure you have some flow. I have also blown mine out with compressed air to make sure its not gummed up. it should only flow from the pump (center of the bolt) to the fitting (outside of the bolt) . it has a non-return function.
Old 01-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

Probably it is fuel supply related .
Check if possible the fuel return amount on each injector .
There is a chance that most of the fuel pressure is lost trough the return lines . It involves removing the return lines one by one and measure the amount of fuel pushed out in to a jar during a period of time (2-4 minutes) while engine is running . Not sure what that amount should be exactly but should be the same or pretty close on all 4 injectors .
If big difference than injectors have to be serviced .
Other thing is to measure the fuel rail pressure to see if IP works properly.
If all above Ok ....than don't know what else to suggest for know .
Old 02-08-2018

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I have a mechanic friend that will help me to test those things. I'll let you know how it goes once we get around to it.

Also, the obd 2 device said that my RPMs at idle sit between 850-852.
Old 02-08-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

Has the pump been played with prior to this happening? Or has it just happened on its own?

Just because years ago when i was playing with the pumps i eneded up with this issue. However i never had any engine lights come on.

On the pump there is a fuel cut off soleniod i would suggest pulling it out and give it a clean it could be cutting the fuel and making it stall?
Old 02-08-2018

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmonster View Post
Has the pump been played with prior to this happening? Or has it just happened on its own?

Just because years ago when i was playing with the pumps i eneded up with this issue. However i never had any engine lights come on.

On the pump there is a fuel cut off soleniod i would suggest pulling it out and give it a clean it could be cutting the fuel and making it stall?
Na the pump hadn't been touched. I'll take a look at the solenoid and give it a good clean.
Post New Thread  Reply