NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 25 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2018
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah, I don't think the current stance on the diesel alternators is acceptable. It is obvious that the diesel alternator has the same issue as the petrol, so why not issue the initial recall acknowledging that and repair failed units under statutory warranty?

That they are asking diesel owners to foot the bill and hope for a refund later isn't in line with their legal obligations.....
Old 07-02-2018

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

For a fleeting moment I thought the letter from FCA was a recall for the Alternator on mt CRD but no , it was a recall letter but was for the sunvisor lamp that they said they fixed a few years ago but needs to be redone, ah well it was good for a second. Hope they fix the Alternators better than the sunvisor lamp.
Old 08-02-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well the FCA & dealer debacle continues. Rocked up at the dealer at the appointed time early this morning to have new alternator fitted at my expense. This is what I was met with: "Oh, we tried contacting you yesterday to let you know the part hasn't arrived. There is no ETA on it, in fact it's not just alternators, we can't get any parts for anything at the moment, we don't know what FCA are playing at, they're crucifying us" . To add insult to injury they had taken my number down incorrectly, no wonder they couldn't contact me, although they did have my email address - I suppose using that would require initiative beyond their capability!

Seriously, I think FCA and their distribution/dealer network are as bad as each other and getting worse, meanwhile the hapless customer is bunny in the middle. I will fire off a message to Robert Lawson today and express my "dismay" in extremely clear terms. Somehow though I suspect that banging my head on the proverbial brick wall will bring greater satisfaction....

If there's any truth in this parts supply thing, I hope you guys don't need anything done in the foreseeable. Of course, it could be I was spun a bunch of BS, who knows?

Last edited by SouthernComfort; 08-02-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

@SouthernComfort

Dont hold your breath. Think the dealers and FCA are playing cat and mouse at the moment. Parts must be on freeze or something.

I was last told ThirdParty alternators can be organized temporarily since the non-fixed oem cannot be supplied until April. But I think their trying to hold you back until April so they dont have to fought the bill of an aftermarket item, which will go to waste once the fixed oem part becomes available/non-fixed oem. If that makes any sense to you.

Its all about timing which determines how much $ FC loses.

I clearly know Veele auto parts have the 220a alternators in stock for my jeep, $670 and their local. I had already informed my dealer, but nada.

Just as well I'm not planning on any trips at the moment.

4th week and counting.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
@SouthernComfort

Dont hold your breath. Think the dealers and FCA are playing cat and mouse at the moment. Parts must be on freeze or something.

I was last told ThirdParty alternators can be organized temporarily since the non-fixed oem cannot be supplied until April. But I think their trying to hold you back until April so they dont have to fought the bill of an aftermarket item, which will go to waste once the fixed oem part becomes available/non-fixed oem. If that makes any sense to you.

Its all about timing which determines how much $ FC loses.

I clearly know Veele auto parts have the 220a alternators in stock for my jeep, $670 and their local. I had already informed my dealer, but nada.

Just as well I'm not planning on any trips at the moment.

4th week and counting.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
There seems to be 2 issues, one is the shortage of alternators for petrol engines due to the recall, the other is the general inability of the parts distribution centre to deliver anything i.e. the dealer told me 140 (diesel) alternators were in stock at the centre when I ordered, they just can't get their hands on one!
Old 08-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

Had my alternator changed over 2 weeks ago on a CRD GC overland.Took 10 days to get the part,dealer told me that the company that distributes FCA parts just dropped the ball at the end of December and now another company is taking over.They dont know the previous system and are either building another or learning the existing one but parts are very hard to get .........
Old 08-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surnturf View Post
They dont know the previous system and are either building another or learning the existing one but parts are very hard to get .........
Distributing parts to a dealer network is hardly rocket science or cutting edge new technology. These guys simply excel at fucking up the most simple of tasks.