Cas/cps - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Cas/cps

My CAS failed in 2008 when the car was 13 years old, and came to a rest at the very beginning of a long bridge that had two blind merging lanes. It would not restart, and it was a brave cop that physically got behind the car and pushed me further to the centre of the bridge to give oncoming traffic time to change lanes and avoid a rear end collision. An RTA van eventually towed me off the bridge to a safe place to wait for a flat bed.

It is the only time this XJ95 has ever broken down (of course it was in the city), and I never want to experience that kind of danger ever again.

Now, fast forward around 13 years later, I have been carrying a spare Mopar genuine part #56026921-001 which is called a Crank Position Sensor. I am thinking that this is AKA the CAS. Could someone please confirm that they are the same thing?

Would an error code ever show up in a Check Engine light readout for a faulty CPS? I don't think it did back in 2008.
Old 13-10-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

If CPS goes faulty the engine would stop because BCM uses the signal from it to determine the timing when should turn on the injectors.
It should (but not sure) bring up a Check engine light and it should have a fault code stored considering it as a major malfunction .
One way to find out (quite hard - being above the bell housing ) is to unplug it from the harness and see if brings up a light or fault code .
Old 13-10-2022
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

CPS crank position sensor CAS cam angle sensor is what I always thought CPS no start CAS run bad sometimes no start
Old 14-10-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Have had 2 CPS failures.
First one , had motor stall twice over a week , then finally crank no start.No code.No pulse at injectors.
Second time was straight after replacing dissy.
Which was hard to work out ,as thought it was dissy related. Plus runs on stored info from PCM until warm.
It ran until warm, then ran like shit and died.
No code.
Fixed it , then died on the way to 9 day trip away.
Turned out brand new CAS that I left in after changing every sensor, had a broken wire.
Old 15-10-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

The '95 will stop working if the CAS (cam angle sensor), or CPS (crank position sensor) are faulty. My '95 has let me down in the past when these sensors gave up the ghost. Only buy Mopar replacements. The Chinese shit is exactly that.... and will leave you stranded.
Also, on the '95, it pays to swap out the rotor button and distributor cap every now and then.
The coil is another area that gets hot and starts giving intermittent problems.

Once all the sensors are sorted.. she is like a freight train...

Cheers,
Old 16-10-2022
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

It can get confusing when when sensors are known by different names in different markets. That's why whenever I talk about crank and cam sensors on Jeep forums I use the Jeep descriptions of CKP sensor and CMP sensor.
Post New Thread  Reply