Towing specs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-04-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default Towing specs

Hello all, so what's the deal with early tp late model JK's having different tow weights? I've been looking on carsales at a few and the early models up to 2010 have a tow weight of 2300kg, late models only get 2000. Would think later models with better engine, fuel, power figures would be better. Reason for the question is i'm thinking of selling my WK2 to go back to a JK but i need it to tow our camper, gross weight of 2300 roughly.
Old 18-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Even with a tow capacity of 2,300kg you are cutting it fine trying to tow at that (mostly) exact maximum. For towing, I like to have a comfortable margin and I don’t think the Wrangler is really the car for you to do that.
Old 19-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

After towing a camper for a few years with a 2011, 4 door JK and now towing with a WK2 for the past 16 months, I'd never go back to a Wrangler as a tow vehicle.

I loved my Wrangler and miss it heaps but after an 8 hour trip home after having to flee the 2019 bush fires when camping ( it should have only taken 4 hours) as it soon as I got home I knew it was time to sell.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 19-04-2021
Established Member

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Yes agree, the WK2 is great to tow with but not so great off road, hence the reason for going back to a JK. The question still stands, why do early 3.8 get 2300kgs and later 3.6 only get 2000kgs?
Old 19-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
Yes agree, the WK2 is great to tow with but not so great off road, hence the reason for going back to a JK. The question still stands, why do early 3.8 get 2300kgs and later 3.6 only get 2000kgs?
Tongue rate changed with the 3.21 gears. That is why, in reality a BS reason, but Aussie ADR’s won’t digress.
Old 20-04-2021

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
After towing a camper for a few years with a 2011, 4 door JK and now towing with a WK2 for the past 16 months, I'd never go back to a Wrangler as a tow vehicle.

I loved my Wrangler and miss it heaps but after an 8 hour trip home after having to flee the 2019 bush fires when camping ( it should have only taken 4 hours) as it soon as I got home I knew it was time to sell.

Nanook, can I ask why it took so long, or what specifically made you slow down?

I have a 2013 JKU and I tow a small van, max 1500 kg. I tend to travel slowly anyway but these days I'm rolling side to side down the road. Time for new suspension and shockers I think. However, I'm curious to know what other issues impact the towing by JK's.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
Nanook, can I ask why it took so long, or what specifically made you slow down?

I have a 2013 JKU and I tow a small van, max 1500 kg. I tend to travel slowly anyway but these days I'm rolling side to side down the road. Time for new suspension and shockers I think. However, I'm curious to know what other issues impact the towing by JK's.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
No fault of the JK. I was camping on a Station just outside of Nowra and was caught up in the evacuation due to the severe bushfires. Where I was ended up completely burnt out the day after I left. It was the traffic due to the fires. Being a manual didn't help I was very close to burning the clutch out in the bumper to bumper traffic.

I tow a 1500kg camper trailer and usually sat on 90kph when in the JK. I have to admit the old 3.8 didn't do too bad, just very slow up hills. If I could keep the revs up, it did the job but usually some arsehole would cut you off and kill any momentum.

I loved my JK but nothing tows like the GC for power and comfort. I'm mainly on the beach fishing so I don't miss the extra capability the Wrangler has. In fact the GC is better on the sand than the 3.8 ever was, just not as much fun.

Fishframe is correct, they changed the tow ball weight which is why the tow weights are different.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply