Wheel info needed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wheel info needed

Hi all,
So, after a many years of not having a Jeep, currently own a Landrover Perentie, I have purchased myself another JK 2dr Sport this one been a used 2012 completely stock and never seen a dirt road, instead of at the time a new 2009

Trying to search through the forums is doing my head in tonight, what would be your recommendations on 17x8 wheel offset or back spacing to run a 295/70R17 ideally keeping it under the factory flares and no scrapping

This will end up have a teraflex 2.5" lift before said tyre size will be fitted.

Failing that of not been able to keep them under a factory flare I can go aftermarket to get them back under.

Any info would be highly appreciated
Old 21-04-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I'm doing similar research to fit 315/70r17 on a fresh set of wheels. I used my current setup as my baseline: 285/70r17 tyres on the 8.5" wide Mopar 5 hole wheels, which are basically AEV Savegre with 4.7" backspacing (-1 offset according to the online calculators) instead of 5.2". The tyres barely fit under the guards but the upside of that is there is no rubbing or scrubbing, even under full lock or full compression with my 2.5" lift with proper bump-stops and factory flares.

If I want to run the same tyres on 8" wheels, I would need +5 offset to clear the everything on the inside as it does now and not poke out any further. I don't think inner clearance will be an issue so maybe look for a +10 offset 8" wheel to have zero risk of the extra 5mm outside tyre from a 295 being an issue.

Since I am also running a D30 front diff and I like doing rock-crawling (madness, I know), I want to keep everything as light as possible but finding decent looking and decently priced 5x127 alloy wheels locally has been challenging.

FWIW 285 tyres look to be much more common than 295, so you can probably get a better deal and find 285 stock easier. All you will lose is possibly 3.5mm diff clearance.
Old 21-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Do the lift first is my recommendation.
Old 21-04-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi mate,
I got a 2 door shorty on a AEV 2.5" on 295/70/17's..
If i can remember right, I think my wheel details are a 17x9 positive 18, No issues...

Cheers,
Old 21-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys,
Gives me something a little more solid to start working with.
Fish, yeah the wheels and tyres wont go on until the lift is fitted. Just need to pull my finger out and get the Perentie listed for sale and the funds from it are going to straight into the Jeep.

ST, I cant complain at the price of the Yokohama MT G003 in the 295's at $360 inc each and sounds like I might be able to score them for $290 inc in June.

I like the look of the Maxxis MT-772's but dont have a good contact for nice pricing.

But still need to now try and find a supplier who is doing steel wheels to suit Jeeps
Old 25-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, So I'm looking at a Teraflex 2.5" lift but it is asking for a wheel back spacing of 4.5" So I queried JeepKonection and they pretty well said I will need that backspacing.
Now the only steel wheels I can find without forking over a left nut are 17x8 with a 4.25" back space.
My main concern now is, will a 1" wider flare set cover a 295 tyre on said rims.
Old 25-04-2021
Established Member

Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

I have had the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift on stock rims for about 5 years without issue. While I had the original tyres on there was no rubbing anywhere. For the last 2.5 years I have had 33's on (285/70/17) and the only time thay have rubbed is at full flex with the swaybars disconnected, they rub on the upper spring holder.
So unless you are out every weekend flexing it right out you will be OK on stock rims.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply