jk diesel particulate filter - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2007
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default jk diesel particulate filter

does anyone know if it is possible to remove or strip the internal parts out of the particulate filter. i know it would be illegal as it affects the anti-pollution system. but it sure makes it easier to find oils for the engine and makes possible the use oils a bit thicker than 5w-30 in hot northern australian areas, perhaps a 10w-40. the only low ash oils available are all 5w-30, bloody expensive and come in 20 litre drums and are very light weight.
Old 02-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Dont worry about the low oil vicosity. these oils will be full synthetic & far superior at protecting your engine under general & extreme conditions than most hi-vis oils. Hopefully they will be more readily available & in smaller packs soon.

David

Last edited by wrench; 02-01-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thnks dave. i have found a penrite hpr 0 oil . it's a 0-40 grade low ash, which meets all the required specs. comes in a 5 litre container. am going to try that. it's just that this stuff is so bloody difficult to get, has to be specially ordered, and unless you're in the right place when you need an oil change, you have to carry it with you. just thought ripping out the filter might be an easy fix.
Old 02-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

No worries.
Hang in there &it will be stocked by more sellers. Particulate filters are becoming more common every day.
I run an auto shop & it is becoming a pain to keep all the different oils in stock.

David
Old 03-01-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
No worries.
Hang in there &it will be stocked by more sellers. Particulate filters are becoming more common every day.
I run an auto shop & it is becoming a pain to keep all the different oils in stock.

David
finally someone knows all about these things. the later version of this diesel uses different injectors which do away with the requirement for a particulate filter. does that mean that they will no longer be used in a couple of years? can you give me a rough idea of the life of a particulate filter assuming normal use without vehicle or system abuse? (or is it like asking how long is a piece of string)
Old 10-02-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
does anyone know if it is possible to remove or strip the internal parts out of the particulate filter. i know it would be illegal as it affects the anti-pollution system. but it sure makes it easier to find oils for the engine and makes possible the use oils a bit thicker than 5w-30 in hot northern australian areas, perhaps a 10w-40. the only low ash oils available are all 5w-30, bloody expensive and come in 20 litre drums and are very light weight.
Where do you find a DPF in 07-08 JKs??? I can only see a catalytic converter straight after the turbo, then all the way to the rear it's just the exhaust pipe down to the muffler. The 07 JK parts list doesn't have a DPF as well. Confused...
Old 10-02-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeJK View Post
Where do you find a DPF in 07-08 JKs??? I can only see a catalytic converter straight after the turbo, then all the way to the rear it's just the exhaust pipe down to the muffler. The 07 JK parts list doesn't have a DPF as well. Confused...
is that thing in the exhaust behind the turbo a catalytic converter or a particulate filter????
Post New Thread  Reply