KJ Rear Upper Control Arm Replacement - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 1 Week Ago
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

I broke up a few orders from IDparts, all including shipping under 750 aussie each order . Also bought a new set of Als upper A arms complete. Should be here soon. Will get lower front ball joints locally, and maybe a set of lower front control arms. .

Ordered, full cam belt kit, water pump, thermostat, ect ect, upgraded lower rear control arms, full timing belt replacement toolkit, also a new set of Als upper a-arms. Will source upper rear bushes and ball joint locally, also lower front ball joints. And get GDE flash for ecu.

Anybody wanting a rare, crd auto 2014 JKU, ON 33,S immaculate, pm me.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
the whole GST thing is the greatest crock it might make sense were jeep parts only 10% cheaper from the US fact is Australian dealers are often up to 400% dearer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep.... It's wrong. And now the government is supporting them in this blatant overcharging by adding gst to custom charges.

Will be a real thing soon, but, the biggest challenge will be, that all items caught in the new laws, will require you to go through a customs broker to get a release through customs. Yes, you will not only have to pay gst, but, you will have to pay a third party to broker the transaction and a fee to customs to be the guys that stopped your item from coming in.

Trust me, cost me over 1000.00 dollars recently to bring in a 24 year old camera lens, bought privately from an individual ( who sold at a loss from his original purchase price in 1994) customs here grabbed the package, held it, then demanded gst, but also, I could not personally just pay the gst, I had to, under law, contract a customs broker to facilitate the transaction, if I wanted to do the transactions myself, it would take a minimum of 14 to. 28 days, and after 7days, I would be charged 90.00 dollars per day after 7 days, and if they asked a question, as simple as " is the item for personal use" that would mean another 28 days until a reply was issued, ie 28 days or 90.00 a day,.... Or pay a licensed customs broker fee to release the item.

There's going to be a lot of rich brokers next year.

Old 1 Week Ago
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

what gets me is those driving this bulls$@t is the likes of Gerry Harvey a multi millionaire who is a known tight a@$e and his mates in Canberra who all just want more dollars for them. It's simple economics give the working man who lives on 80-100% of his income more money in his pocket and he spends more and they get to collect the GST rob us blind on payroll taxes and the rest and we are forced to find a better price just to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr View Post
Yep.... It's wrong. And now the government is supporting them in this blatant overcharging by adding gst to custom charges.

Will be a real thing soon, but, the biggest challenge will be, that all items caught in the new laws, will require you to go through a customs broker to get a release through customs. Yes, you will not only have to pay gst, but, you will have to pay a third party to broker the transaction and a fee to customs to be the guys that stopped your item from coming in.

Trust me, cost me over 1000.00 dollars recently to bring in a 24 year old camera lens, bought privately from an individual ( who sold at a loss from his original purchase price in 1994) customs here grabbed the package, held it, then demanded gst, but also, I could not personally just pay the gst, I had to, under law, contract a customs broker to facilitate the transaction, if I wanted to do the transactions myself, it would take a minimum of 14 to. 28 days, and after 7days, I would be charged 90.00 dollars per day after 7 days, and if they asked a question, as simple as " is the item for personal use" that would mean another 28 days until a reply was issued, ie 28 days or 90.00 a day,.... Or pay a licensed customs broker fee to release the item.

There's going to be a lot of rich brokers next year.
Old 1 Week Ago
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
what gets me is those driving this bulls$@t is the likes of Gerry Harvey a multi millionaire who is a known tight a@$e and his mates in Canberra who all just want more dollars for them. It's simple economics give the working man who lives on 80-100% of his income more money in his pocket and he spends more and they get to collect the GST rob us blind on payroll taxes and the rest and we are forced to find a better price just to survive.

Yeah, I agree, for too long in Australia retailers gouged us with huge prices for items, a basic TV was 3 times the price it should have been, an when people started buying from OS, they were able to drop their prices only then.

Look at the ridiculous mark ups on Jeep parts from the dealers. I remember asking about the rear boomerang years ago, $1100.00 from Jeep, at the time, $89.00usd, a front clevis bush, $200.00 from Jeep, $13.00usd.
And they wonder why we buy from OS.

Sponsored Posts
Old 1 Week Ago
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr View Post
Yeah, I agree, for too long in Australia retailers gouged us with huge prices for items, a basic TV was 3 times the price it should have been, an when people started buying from OS, they were able to drop their prices only then.

Look at the ridiculous mark ups on Jeep parts from the dealers. I remember asking about the rear boomerang years ago, $1100.00 from Jeep, at the time, $89.00usd, a front clevis bush, $200.00 from Jeep, $13.00usd.
And they wonder why we buy from OS.
I was once told by a stealership that the cv on the front prop shaft( trans to diff) was not replaceable and I had to buy a new shaft for $1800

Old 5 Days Ago
AJOR Silver

Liked 92 Times in 63 Posts

The Rear Upper Control Arm arrived yesterday and today I installed it. Perfect match as expected. I am really getting too old for this sort of job. I couple of things to pay attention to if your doing this: disconnect the parking brake cable supports from the rear of the boomerang before you try to remove it - you can leave the old wire loops on the brake cable and just screw them back into the new Arm; you may have to tilt (raise) the front of the diff with a jack to get the balljoint to pop loose (this depends on the size of your lift); when you install the new arm it can be hard to get the balljoint shaft in position but if you can move rotate the diff abit it usually drops in, I use a tie down strap to hold the arm down while I bolt the balljoint in place; remember that that the bolts that secure the Arm to the body are screwed into captive nuts that sit inside pockets in the rear floor pan - don't use a ratchet gun on those, take them off by hand slowly ( I recall one AJOR guy some years ago that managed to bugger up one of those bolts and he had to take the rear seat out and cut into the floor pan to get to the nut that he damaged). I use anti-seize compound on those bolts when I reinstall them. Tighten them with outward pulling pressure if you can, just to make sure the nut stays in position. Torque them to 100nm as per the Service Manual.

Photos are attached. Notice the crack in the bushing on the old arm (you can see through the crack). Both sides of the old showed bush cracks but they were that way last time I changed the balljoint, so I don't know if it has any operational effect.

Test drive report: no movement, no noise, nice and tight again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1817.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	77515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1818.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	77516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1819.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	77517   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1820.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	77518   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1822.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	77519  

Last edited by glend; 5 Days Ago at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Posts
Old 1 Day Ago
No Winching

Nice work Glen,, yes, those handbrake bolts are also things not to over torque, they strip out easy. It does certainly make the ride quieter without that "clunk"

I'm hoping all my parts arrive this week.

Old 1 Day Ago
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'll hopefully be ordering mine soon.