To buy a jk diesel or wait for the jl - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default To buy a jk diesel or wait for the jl

Hey there forum members, i have been trolling this forum for as much information on the diesel jk as possible, as im really tossing up getting one real soon. Ive read most of the posts from earlier years, im looking at buying one as new as possible with next to no kms on the clock. Adding a secondary fuel filter and an auto trans cooler and going from there. My query what sort of kms have people got out of their diesel wranglers as a genuine long range tourer, as alot of the posts on here are from 5 or 6 years ago, would be good to hear some tales good and bad of why not to buy one based on people owning these well to 2017.

Im really hoping to get into seeing some more sites that west aus has to offer, further abroad then just the city limits, so the diesel economy is what is appealing. Ive owned a petrol 4wd and ive had to pretty much put all my posessions into a shoping trolley during the week just to get out a few times a month lol. Wanna stay away from an ifs 4by ute and a cruiser ute is way to expensive at nearly 70 odd grand, so the wrangler is only of a few legitimate solid axles available now a days. Only me and missus in the car so space isnt an issue really, and i can always tell her to leave the hair dryer at home lol.

Jk or wait for the jl?..... dont flame me to hard please, ive read the crap out of just about every diesel forum post on here aha.

Cheers for any replies
Brad.
Old 29-10-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krump_7 View Post
Hey there forum members, i have been trolling this forum for as much information on the diesel jk as possible, as im really tossing up getting one real soon. Ive read most of the posts from earlier years, im looking at buying one as new as possible with next to no kms on the clock. Adding a secondary fuel filter and an auto trans cooler and going from there. My query what sort of kms have people got out of their diesel wranglers as a genuine long range tourer, as alot of the posts on here are from 5 or 6 years ago, would be good to hear some tales good and bad of why not to buy one based on people owning these well to 2017.

Im really hoping to get into seeing some more sites that west aus has to offer, further abroad then just the city limits, so the diesel economy is what is appealing. Ive owned a petrol 4wd and ive had to pretty much put all my posessions into a shoping trolley during the week just to get out a few times a month lol. Wanna stay away from an ifs 4by ute and a cruiser ute is way to expensive at nearly 70 odd grand, so the wrangler is only of a few legitimate solid axles available now a days. Only me and missus in the car so space isnt an issue really, and i can always tell her to leave the hair dryer at home lol.

Jk or wait for the jl?..... dont flame me to hard please, ive read the crap out of just about every diesel forum post on here aha.

Cheers for any replies
Brad.
I would definitely wait for the JL. It will have the 3.0 Lt V6 Diesel from the Grand Cherokee. I have had my Grand for 3 years now and the engine is awesome.
Have added a tune, exhaust and DPF delete. It now delivers 224Kw and 720Nm..... and has averaged 8.4 Lt per 100 Klm's. You won't get that sort of power and economy from the current 2.8 Lt 4 cylinder.
A mate of mine is in the process of selling his petrol Wrangler with the intention of buying a JL diesel as soon as they are released.

Cheers, Craig
Old 29-10-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

Is this not wishful thinking ?
We'll have to wait and see if V6 VM unit is designated for the Wrangler.
So far I've only seen the 2.0 L twin turbo & current V6 Pentastar listed.

HAve you got further info on this ????
Old 29-10-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

My mate who is hanging out for the JL claims that he has some inside info. Guess we will have to wait until it is officially announced by Jeep to be 100% sure.
Either way, I would be hanging out to find out before buying the JK.

Cheers, Craig
Old 29-10-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krump_7 View Post
Hey there forum members, i have been trolling this forum for as much information on the diesel jk as possible, as im really tossing up getting one real soon.

Cheers for any replies
Brad.
Not flaming, you are in the right place for information. It's just that I haven't seen you "trolling". That's when you go and start internet arguments and deliberatly antagonise people. What you have been doing is trawling. Sifting through a sea of information and fishing for the tasty bits that you need for your brain to digest!

I'd love to give you some info on how well my diesel JK has done but, sadly, I have the 3.8V6 minivan motor.
Old 29-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
Is this not wishful thinking ?
We'll have to wait and see if V6 VM unit is designated for the Wrangler.
So far I've only seen the 2.0 L twin turbo & current V6 Pentastar listed.

HAve you got further info on this ????
Sure looks like it will have the 3.0L diesel:

Quote:
Compared to the JL and JLU:

2-door JL Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs

4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4300 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4390 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.0L diesel): 4395 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1280 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.0L diesel): 4590 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1160 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.0L diesel): 4620 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1180 lbs

* Model weight was calculated by subtracting max payload from GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

A few more other points gleaned from these pages:

3.0L diesel again confirmed
Diesel will only be available with the 4-door JLU Wrangler and Jeep Scrambler Pickup
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will only be available in 4-door model
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will be available with 3.6L Pentastar and 3.0L diesel (not 2.0L turbo)
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will be available in base and premium models
http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/fo...revealed.1353/
Old 29-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

I own a 2.8 CRD and love it, but....surely it's worth waiting to see what the 3.0 is like in the JL

you might also be able to score a 2.8 cheap once the 3.0 is announced too
Post New Thread  Reply