KJ lifts and what to expect - Page 48 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

What tyres are you running and how much life is there left in them? Good tyres can make any 4WD a lot more capable. If you still have HTs you may be better off spending your money on a decent ATR or Muddy especially if your tread is getting low.
Old 25-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ65 View Post
What tyres are you running and how much life is there left in them? Good tyres can make any 4WD a lot more capable. If you still have HTs you may be better off spending your money on a decent ATR or Muddy especially if your tread is getting low.

Yes I am looking at new tyres as well as we speak. Looking Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. Any opinions one these. They will. It's me less $30 per tyre than the BF Goodrich A/T KO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a KJ thing!
KJ Cherokee 65th Anniversary Edition
Old 26-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboy79 View Post
Yes I am looking at new tyres as well as we speak. Looking Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. Any opinions one these. They will. It's me less $30 per tyre than the BF Goodrich A/T KO.

There are some good threads in this section on the tyre topic that are worth a look.

I recently went with General Grabber AT2, which were $250 per corner fitted in 31x10.5 R15. Early days but really impressed so far, great on and off the road. The local bob jane franchisee reckons they are better than the BFG AT and the best tyre for the money.

Was quite satisfying recently breezing up muddy hills no sweat then watching modded wranglers struggle big time to do the same (on less aggressive tyres).
Old 26-07-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboy79 View Post

From all the research I did on tyres about 12 months ago the Yoko Geolandar always received positive reviews. Apparently quite grippy on and offroad for a quiet AT and last for a lot of km's. They also come with the road hazard warranty which is pretty unbeatable: http://www.yokohama.com.au/Footer/Ty...d-Program.aspx

I was also pretty keen on the General Grabber AT2 that Dissociative has, but couldn't find the ones I wanted at the right price.

I ended up scoring a second hand bargain with 6 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (4 with only 5,000kms and 2 brand new) and these are an awesome aggressive AT tyre, but new they are as dear as poison.

If you're after a budget tyre, check out the Hercules Terra Trac AT, which I picked up for my wife's KJ at about $170ea at Tyres and More. They have been great so far over the 13,000kms, are very quiet on the road and are probably about as aggressive as the Geolandars. Made in the USA too.

Whilst many people still swear by them, I reckon BFG AT KO's are a very overpriced tyre. Sure, they'll last for 80-100,000km's, but they are a very old design with an even older compound that goes as hard a rock after a couple of years and turn into the equivalent of ice skates on a wet road. Trust me - I know from experience!! Many better options out there these days.
Old 27-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Default KJ lifts and what to expect

I have finally decided not to fit a lift kit on my KJ. Instead I will spend a bit extra on a good set of tyres and that will do me. The car is mainly a means to my camping and hunting trips. The off-road capability is not the end goal in itself. Based on recent experience the car has been more than able to handle the trips I've been on so far and good set of rubbers should more than make up for what's been lacking.

Also thanks for the feedback on the geolanders. They and the BF are on the top of my list.

It's a KJ thing!

Last edited by Jeepboy79; 27-07-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old 28-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

One other option (and no doubt the cheapest) would be the daystar spacer lift and strut tops, as described back in the first post. This seems to have been used successfully on the CRD's prior to the current lift kits being available.

On the BF's, I don't think I've seen a tyre with worse feedback before, certainly enough to put me off!

Good luck with it all anyway
Old 28-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Thanks Dissociative. I will leave as is for now. Ride height is not terrible. It is a 4WD afterall. As I said, gets me to my camping and hunting spots just fine, seldom will have to climb rocks or traverse deep creeks to get to where I need to go. (never so far) Also as I said I've come to realisation that most people who do raise and so on do so with the express intention of flexing, climbing rocks and creeks where as for me that's not the intention.

I hope to one day get myself a Wrangler Unlimited. (seing as though I can't update to a Cherokee) I will quite likely mod that thing to the max.

It's a KJ thing!
Post New Thread  Reply