Pathetic range of my keyless entry - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2010
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Default Pathetic range of my keyless entry

My 1999 WJ V8 Limited has a really pathetic range for the remotes when operating the keyless entry. Sometimes you literally have to be right next to it and then hold the remote in the air to get it to operate. Sometimes unlock won't work until you press lock and then unlock again. Sometimes (rarely) it just won't at all and you have to manually unlock it via the driver's door. Very annoying when you are carrying a couple of slabs to put in the back or trying to get the dogs in the back by yourself etc. The lock function seems to work better than the unlock function most of the time.

It was like it from day one when I picked the car up, but just assumed it had a flat battery in the remote, so I bought a replacement for it. Slightly better, but no good either. However when I pulled the existing battery out, I found that there were 2 batteries on top of each other, half the thickness of the one I replaced them with. So I went back to the shop and bought 2 of the thinner batteries - still no good!!

My old EF Fairmont and my girlfriend's Peugeot remotes would/will work from around 40-50m away, so it' very frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to improve the range of these remotes, or is it just "A Jeep Thing" that I have to put up with?
Old 05-07-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Before you press the unlock button, hold the remote against your head.
Doubles the range. Wierd.
Makes you look like a freak, but hey, you drive a Jeep.......
Old 05-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 things here.
1. it took me 4 years to realise that the keyless entry in the grand really needs to be held down properly for about a second rather than just pressed and immediately released like most.
2. the receiver module in the passenger side door might need to be replaced. They frequently lose range but will still work to some extent. If you take it to the dealer they'll tell you it's fine or to replace your fob batteries. You'll need to insist they test it, I did and had mine replaced under warranty.

P.S your symptoms make it sound like it's the module
Old 05-07-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat View Post
2 things here.
1. it took me 4 years to realise that the keyless entry in the grand really needs to be held down properly for about a second rather than just pressed and immediately released like most.
2. the receiver module in the passenger side door might need to be replaced. They frequently lose range but will still work to some extent. If you take it to the dealer they'll tell you it's fine or to replace your fob batteries. You'll need to insist they test it, I did and had mine replaced under warranty.

P.S your symptoms make it sound like it's the module

Thanks Bikemat.

Fortunately, I already figured out your first point during day one of ownership through trial and error of course.

On your second point, did you get this module replaced under the new vehicle warranty, or was it after it expired? i.e. replaced in good faith or due to a known fault to the manufacturer. Also, what is the range of your remote to operate the keyless entry now?

Whereabouts is the module, actually inside the passenger door?

Maybe I can chase one up at a Jeep wreckers or ebay USA or something and change it myself.
Old 05-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it was still covered by warranty.
I wouldn't get one from a wreckers, I think a lot of them are stuffed but not diagnosed, doubt a wrecker would have the know-how to properly test it. The passenger side lock switch and power window switch are actually the module, so it's very easy to get to.
range is i guess about 10-15m now i guess, which is heaps.
Old 05-07-2010
Lowranger Shocker

OK, so I have now been able to do some digging:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...ntenna-720059/

"It took me ages to sort this problem out but now done remote range is great
Did this on my 2000 JGC
the PDM, passenger door module which contains the window and door lock switches also contains the RKE, remote keyless entry unit it is all one unit if you change this unit your key fobs will have to be reprogramed by a dealer or auto lock smith as this unit holds the code information from the remote key fobs. If your key fob will only work up close to the car you need to remove the unit, first take off door panel and then unscrew the unit from back of door panel for units after 2001 there should be a 12" single core wire comming out of it, this is the antenna if this wire is damaged or snaged you need to open the unit and replace it very easy to do with a soldering iron. If there is no antenna wire follow instructions below.
On units pre 2001 the units did not have the wire antenna and so the range with the remote was very poor, it was an in warranty replacement with a new unit with the wire antenna. The pre 2001 units can have a wire antenna attached thus fixing the problem. You need to open the unit it splits into two, separate carefuly as there is a ribbon cable connecting the two halves, the side with the switches on is the one you need to solder the wire to, the circuit board has a printed antenna on it at the end of the printed antenna is a solder point it is here that you need to solder on the new antenna wire. A peice of 12 volt insulated single core bell wire no longer than 12"s, i used a wire removed from a computer ide ribbon cable as it's easer to solder to the board as it very thin, put some insulation tape over the unsoldered end do not be tempted to put a longer wire on it will decrease the range of the reciever, this is to do with the operating frequency of the unit. When you fit the unit back into the door panel just tape the new antenna wire to the back of the door panel. When i did this upgrade to my unit i did not have a camera with me so did not get a pic to show where the solder point is, so if you open your unit lay it out flat and take over head pic of circuit boards and email it me i will mark the solder point on the pic and send it back to you. this is a must do repair or upgrade witch you can do your self
an updated unit from a dealer fitted and reprogramed costs £400.
The range on my jeep has gone from 2' to 60' in built up areas and upto 100' in open areas
any questions just email me and i will do all i can to help.
Jeep should have done a recall for this problem as the unit was not fit for purpose. Dealers would only replace unit in warranty if customers brought it to their attention
If your remote has never had any range this is the fix."

Also, these TSB's seem to back up this guys post:

http://www.jeephowto.com/wj/tsb/tsb_wj_080800.pdf

http://www.jeephowto.com/wj/tsb/tsb_wj_0801103.pdf

So essentially there has either been a problem with the keyless entry system on mine since factory or it has been replaced with the later module under warranty and the antenna wire has broken.

Looks like I'll be pulling the module out thus weekend and trying to find a place to solder the antenna to.

Anyone on here ever carried out this procedure before?
Old 05-07-2010
Norwegian Racing Sardine

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's an excellent find, thanks for sharing! I have to take the skin off my passengers door soon to repair/replace some of the mounting clips and install some Dynamat so I'll be trying this mod for sure.

Cheers.
Post New Thread  Reply