What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2454 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-03-2016
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdavid View Post
the front temp sender unit can cause it to not lock up.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
I have a fairly new one. Gauge reads fine. Yes, mine only has the one.
Old 16-03-2016
Trail Twister

OK. did some checking today. Pulled the plug on the firewall.
Now I am a noob when it comes to electrics but, my multi meter when set to ohms showed 1 when apart. Showed 000 when together.
Now on the pins going to the trans showed 15 on the shift solenoids and 1 when on the TC solenoid pin. That tells me the connection to my new solenoid is not good right? My old solenoid tested 10.
I think it is the connector to the TC solenoid that is the problem?
Well the good and the bad.
BAD: I have just been to big effort to move the exhaust and pull the pan and service the transmission.Thought I did a good job at resealing, etc.
GOOD: I need to re do my leaking/cracked extractors so that opens up another window to go inside the trans.
I feel the problem is at the electrical connector to the solenoid. I will re do and test. Will let you all know how I go.
Old 16-03-2016
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
OK. did some checking today. Pulled the plug on the firewall.

Now I am a noob when it comes to electrics but, my multi meter when set to ohms showed 1 when apart. Showed 000 when together.

Now on the pins going to the trans showed 15 on the shift solenoids and 1 when on the TC solenoid pin. That tells me the connection to my new solenoid is not good right? My old solenoid tested 10.

I think it is the connector to the TC solenoid that is the problem?

Well the good and the bad.

BAD: I have just been to big effort to move the exhaust and pull the pan and service the transmission.Thought I did a good job at resealing, etc.

GOOD: I need to re do my leaking/cracked extractors so that opens up another window to go inside the trans.

I feel the problem is at the electrical connector to the solenoid. I will re do and test. Will let you all know how I go.

As the solenoid has 1 pin it means it could be the earth at the solenoid too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-03-2016
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Rusty, you need to know the values for each item before saying one is bad or good. Even using the method of shooting continuity through the old one could be flawed if the old one has an issue you don't know about. You also need to know whether or not you need to shoot these with power applied or not applied. For example, 1 apart and 000 together could mean two different things. First is you have good continuity through the solenoid (1ohm) and great continuity when put together (0ohms), or the 000 could mean you have no continuity (I.e. A broken wire, or one chaffed to a ground). Simply knowing the original values will help you immensely.
Old 17-03-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

connect the meter to the wire to solenoid and run it inside the cabin. now go for a drive and see if voltage is being applied at the right time that is above 60 - 70km/h. this will rule out all the sensors.
Old 17-03-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Assuming you have used the correct pins for this test AND assuming you are measuring to ground then you have an open circuit for this solenoid.
Next step would be to double check your findings, compare wire colours etc to the FSM diagram as it'd be a real bitch to find you were testing on the wrong pin, trust me it's easy to do and always best to double check your findings.
Once verified and you're sure it's correct then you need to move to the next connector in line with the solenoid, if that means inside the trans then off the pan needs to come!!!

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 17-03-2016
Trail Twister

I am going to do a few more tests but I think the problem is the connector to the solenoid inside the pan. It just didn't seem right when I connected it.
Post New Thread  Reply