Baro reading and P0101 MAF DTC - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts
Default Baro reading and P0101 MAF DTC

Hi All,
My 2012 JGC CRD keeps throwing a DTC P0101 Mass Airflow out of range, which leads to other codes to do with EGR and Turbo underboost a few minutes later. I have changed the MAF sensor with no difference. My cheap OBD scanner also does data stream readings, 29 pages. One category is Baro i.e. barometric pressure in kPa. ~ normal sea level, normal day this should be about 100.0kPa engine on or off. My reading is Baro zero although another category is MAP Manifold Air Pressure which is showing 101.0kPa. The MAP sensor is supposed to have a barometric sensor cell. I also have a Pajero diesel and it has Baro reading 100.0kPa and also has a MAP reading 101.0kPa engine not running and 98.0kPa when running. See photos.
Can anyone with the same JGC CRD and a scanner let me know if they have a Baro reading at all?

Many thanks, Adrian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JGC Baro.jpg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg JGC MAP.jpg (95.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero 1_5 small.jpg (45.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero 4_5 small.jpg (42.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-03-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I checked my data dumps when running, Alfa OBD throws them as hPa while at idle "Downstream of air filter " 125hPa and at MAP of 101hPa while a listing of " Sensed value of environment air pressure: 1000.00 hPa " since couldn't get any closer to the sea the 1000hPa would be correct .................
Probably no help at all but mine runs with no faults or problems so I use my data dumps at idle as a base line....

I would firstly give the MAF a clean with sensor cleaner along with the connector, ensure the plumbing clamps are fitted in their slots and tight and air filter is in position and clean the MAP while at it.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-03-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I checked my data dumps when running, Alfa OBD throws them as hPa while at idle "Downstream of air filter " 125hPa and at MAP of 101hPa while a listing of " Sensed value of environment air pressure: 1000.00 hPa " since couldn't get any closer to the sea the 1000hPa would be correct .................
Probably no help at all but mine runs with no faults or problems so I use my data dumps at idle as a base line....

I would firstly give the MAF a clean with sensor cleaner along with the connector, ensure the plumbing clamps are fitted in their slots and tight and air filter is in position and clean the MAP while at it.
Hi, Yes done all that and traced the wires back to the PCM to ensure no breaks there. Tried another MAF but same. I am suspecting the Boost Pressure Sensor [some call it the MAP Manifold Air (or absolute) Pressure] is responsible also because I took it out and cleaned it too and noted the part number in case I need to replace it. I looked it up and it is not the right unit for my car!!! I suspect it got swapped when the car was at the insurers compound along with the engine cover going missing. Bastards!!!
Have ordered the right one and we will see what happens.
thanks Adrian
Old 31-03-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

The MAP as we call it is more than likely the cause of the problem which you really haven't covered, should have had just one thread I think, when you clean it, it needs to be well and truly flushed then let fully dry before replacing, no poking or touching elements, the numbers I have off mine and in my book of numbers is MOPAR 68211211AA/ Bosch available from many places other than a dealer........
Listings for these parts on models before 2014 is difficult via Yank sites as they barely recognise the engine as it was Export...but you want an EXF model engine some get confused with the Merc engine in the WK its a EXL 3lt turbo diesel as well.

What is the actual number of your current unit ?

Hopefully someone who has a 2012 can confirm the MAP sensor number, Farwest or TreebreakerBob shouldn't be too far away pretty sure I'm on the money.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 31-03-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 31-03-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

If I comment it will be to prove the saying that "Its better to keep your mouth closed and have others think your an idiot than to open it and prove them right"....Bobs your man.
I have been extremely lucky in that none of the usual issues have raised their ugly heads with mine...TCCM, Tranny, Fuel Pump Relays....yep....the electrickery/sensors...nope....that now seals it....it will be a li'l shop of horrors before...or during....the planned Easter getaway....might take it for a run today to do a real burn n charge things up...just jinxed myself big time

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 31-03-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 31-03-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
The MAP as we call it is more than likely the cause of the problem which you really haven't covered, should have had just one thread I think, when you clean it, it needs to be well and truly flushed then let fully dry before replacing, no poking or touching elements, the numbers I have off mine and in my book of numbers is MOPAR 68211211AA/ Bosch 0281006330, available from many places other than a dealer........
Listings for these parts on models before 2014 is difficult via Yank sites as they barely recognise the engine as it was Export...but you want an EXF model engine some get confused with the Merc engine in the WK its a EXL 3lt turbo diesel as well.

What is the actual number of your current unit ?

Hopefully someone who has a 2012 can confirm the MAP sensor number, Farwest or TreebreakerBob shouldn't be too far away pretty sure I'm on the money.
Hi,
The one I took off is a Bosch with part number 0281006076, see photo. When I put that into google and check on several sites that number is not a match for my vehicle and the dealership agrees, but I checked all my service records and no mention of it being replaced before. It is not measuring Baro at all. Going through the 8000 page "workshop manual" it seems to be that MAP is referring to petrol engines and Boost Pressure Sensor refers to diesel engines. Confusing for a while as the diagram is the same. It has had a wash out with the right stuff, Liqui Moly Diesel, as well as a general wash through the air intake.

thanks
Adrian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAP small.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Adrian2012; 31-03-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 31-03-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Pretty sure this is the sucker....never been pulled on mine

Numbers match what you pulled Adrian2012.
Can confirm that is factory fitted.
Google doesnt know everything...SURPRISE !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 31-03-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply