Jeep Cherokee XJ 97 Crank no start sometimes it sputters - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2020

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I dunno whether ur even meant to say that

for fault diagnosis, it doesnt matter whether its a 96 or 97, as they are both OBD2..so download the 97 manual

but for the record, the OZ VIN plate dont mean sh!t, the brass oval plate on the firewall is your year

a '96 should have the pre-update body shape
OBD2 codes and how am I going to get them when all I have is a key and engine light flashing when it wants to.

Lenny6
Old 05-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
for a '96 onwards, this will work BAFX $39

https://obd2australia.com.au/product...iABEgJu3vD_BwE

some of the '96 had an early version of obd2, but this is guarenteed to read them, did take me ages to make it connect with my old Android phone via bluetooth and the free Torque APP, ( I watched a fault finding Youtube eventually) but it does the job, and is plugged in all the time, gives some live data too.

If you have an OBD2 older Jeep..or any vehicle really, you NEED one of these, pays for itself on the 1st use

at the OP...Google and download that manual Alex found..Google search
" free download Jeep Cherokee XJ powertrain diagnostics manual"

Even though it is for a '95, the Ignition system is the same

The way the layout of the manual is formatted, you can tell it is the training manual for technicians
It,s a nice thought to go out and buy a smart phone, gee I just got used to 3g and now they're talking about 5g. Takes like forever for us old folks to catchup and when we do, there are changes. It would probably take me forever to comprehend the bluetooth. I'll probably opt for the plugin units on sale instead.. Thanks

ps: My missus is going to kill me if I buy anything else for this jeep.

Lenny6
Old 05-05-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

OK Lenny,

With your 96, you may have either system, so here are two really quick Youtube videos on how to check your codes for both systems.

Just watch them and see which one is applicable.
Guarantee your Jeep is throwing a code.
Its the first thing we all do.. check the codes....

OK, First is OBD1...

OK, second is OBD2.. Good luck. They are easy to do, and will really help diagnose your Jeep. If you have a code, tell us which one it is, and we will help out..

Cheers,
Old 06-05-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny6 View Post
Well I know now that the ecu is working like it should, just spent a day and a half checking every input and output and they are all showing what they should be so I have to check the wiring now. Thinking of just going out and buying a new or used loom see if that's the problem. Don't have the gear to track shorts and I can't see any worn bits on the loom to say yeah I'll cut that piece open and check for a worn or burnt wire(that's all it can be except for ignition switch). I hate to think that I may have to buy a skim don't think I can, don't even think you can get them reco and get the ecu re-flashed. Besides $800 is a bit to much for me to splash out at the moment for a car that's probably worth 2-3 grand..

Lenny
'96 doesnt have an immobiliser or SKIM module

you have no spark ?....perform the simple tests outlined in the FSM to find out which part is causing the issue...have you got 12V at the coil?....check the cam sensor voltages and wiring...take the cam sensor out and examine the plug wires...known to go bad.

a mutimeter that beeps for continuity will allow you to check your wires in most respects

does your fuel pump run (with an audible buzz for 3 secs when you switch the key to run ?)

Can you confirm you have the older body style ?
Old 06-05-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

you can get a cheap ob2 scanner off ebay for about $20 that's all I use for my 96
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 06-05-2020

When I seen Rainman's post I thought I finally find what's wrong with the jeep!! But no I've tried all his hints and still, crank no-start. Ordered a new camshaft position sensor just waiting till it gets here. Been watching a lot of youtube (ScannerDanner) he is brilliant when it comes to vehicular electronics.

len
Old 07-05-2020
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Had the issue years ago also with a TJ, was the ECU under the dash, in the TJ it lives under the battery tray and the battery acid leaked and damaged it.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply