What have I done?? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2011
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
I just happened to mention to a friend of mine that I was looking at getting a cheap pop top, to which he said "I have an old one you can have for free." Woo-hoo I said. Its been sitting in this guys yard for 15yrs with a cover over it as an unfinished restore but all the parts exposed to the weather have rusted. I fitted a new tow hitch, re-did the electric plug, and to be really clever I replaced the unavailable 5.60x13 tyres with 185x14 light truck tyres. THEY DON'T FIT!! Being just a little bit wider the tyres foul on the springs. I thinking now of moving the springs across about 3" but that will mean stripping the van down, tipping it over and rewelding the hangers. I do have a welder and have been known to do some good welds but hmm. The up side is that I'll finish up with a reliable off-roader and while it is upside down I can redo the gas and brakes and paint it all.

Bill
- give us a look at this pop top, wife's been wanting me to find a cheap one that will sleep 5.

Last edited by Fat Chili; 04-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

This is the day we bought it home, still very dirty.

img_7979 by billnick43, on Flickr
Old 05-10-2011
RubiconSlammer

I'm not clever enough to post more than one pic.

It's called a Sunwagon and they go for about $1.5 - 2k. Do a Google search. This one can sleep 7,ie 2 each end, 2 on the table, and 1 on the seat. It would be more practical to sleep 1 on the pull out beds making a total of 5.

img_7981 by billnick43, on Flickr
Old 05-10-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

It would be a delight to restore I reckon. I would have used 25mm cool room panel with aluminium extrusions on the edges, strong as buggery and insulated to boot, as for the axle I would have just got a new one or maybe some steam pipe and new stubs at the size needed.
The inside looks in great nick, a good bargain.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-10-2011
RubiconSlammer

Update....Axle is back with a 50mm spacer installed. I got a caravan repair place to do it and it is now installed and works a treat. Roof is out and waiting on the polycarbonate sheeting.

The van is missing a fridge, so I'm wondering if a chest type is going to get more use than an upright fridge fitted inside the van. With the chest type we"ll be able to load it in the back of the Jeep to go on picnics as well as in the van for camping.
Old 12-10-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I'd go an Engel or Waeco, more versatile, just don't go for a huge one as they can be bloody heavy when loaded.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-12-2011
RubiconSlammer

Update....Polycabonate roof is on and works and looks a treat. Water tank in and working so I can pump water to the sink. Central fluro light in, after the roof is up I have a plug and socket connector to the battery under the seat.

Purchased a $300 Gasmate fridge for the van for day to day cold stuff and got a 45L Techni-ice icebox for the frozen stuff.

After I got it regoed I took it for a spin up the road and noticed the van was pitching a lot then I discovered the A frame looked very weak and already had a slight bend in it. I now have bolted 2 pieces of 50x50x4mm angle to the weak spot so we'll see how it goes.

All set for a trip to Bundy over chrissy.
Post New Thread  Reply