New or Rebuilt 3.8 V6 Petrol Engine. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Default New or Rebuilt 3.8 V6 Petrol Engine.

I've been looking at JKs and in particular the early 3.8 litre powered Wranglers up to 2011. Been wondering what if I was unlucky and purchased one which burned horrific amounts of oil and/or subsequently died as many of them seem prone to do where could I get a new or re manufactured replacement engine?
Old 02-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

So where are you getting this information on the 3.8?

Some of the very early ones burnt oil and there was the odd one do the big end bearing but the cause of that had been sorted long ago.

The 3.8 is actually a very reliable motor and not much goes wrong with them. They do require an oil change though when the service dictates as they don't like old oil for too long.

The biggest issue they have is they are a bit down on power being only 147kW, but unless you are going to tow near it's top end tow weight or trying to race at the lights, it's not a problem.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 02-07-2018
Full Flexer

I've been reading on the net Jamie – 3.8s failing early and/or with high oil consumption is a large and popular topic and from what I can see it is mostly 2007 and 2008 model Wranglers which were affected. In Australia there is no shortage of low kilometre 3.8s of that same vintage and later for sale. By low kilometres I mean from 150,000 kms down to 40,000 kms which is right in the problem area range.

I've owned 2 XJ Cherokees and one Pentastar JKU. If I have learnt any thing from owning Jeeps whilst living in a rural area it is to have knowledge of what goes wrong and where to go for what ever part is needed and then who will do the work to keep the car on the road.
Old 03-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

It was a pretty big problem in the States as they got the first models before everyone else. Also with the numbers sold there the incidents were a lot higher than here.

There have been a few issues in Australia but because it was sorted out quickly in the States thankfully there wasn't too many here that suffered from it.

Complete 3.8s come up on ebay often for around the $5k mark and there is always someone on here selling a write off.

I wouldn't be too worried about it as it's not hard to get a hold of one if required.

Old 03-07-2018
Full Flexer

Thanks for the info Jamie.

Because I would not be doing the mechanicing I wouldn't consider a second hand engine. The financial risk due to labour costs if the used engine turned out to be a dud would be astronomical hence my question about new or reco'd engines.
Old 04-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

If it comes down to it and you consider a second hand unit just make sure it's from a 2009 up and you shouldn't have a worry.

They are a pretty reliable motor as long as you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere fast.

From what I understand the early units were built in Mexico and the big end bearings relied on an interference fit to keep them in place and not a locating tab. After a while they would start to spin in their housings causing failures. I believe the later ones were then built in the States.

Old 04-07-2018
Full Flexer

After having owned a 3.6 Pentastar JKU Wrangler previously I hope I won't be disappointed with the performance of a 3.8 Wrangler if I get one. Having been burnt once by the dealer six monthly servicing costs - $4G per year - I won't be buying another new one. I haven't yet ruled out a pre 2009 model and there are some very tempting examples sitting in some car yards so I might yet chance my luck.

Of course that then raises the old perennial of high or low mileage............cars....it never ends does it.

Last edited by LSE3.9; 04-07-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply