P1265 and P0673 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default P1265 and P0673

My Australian 2006 KJ Cherokee 2.8 Diesel with 185K Km, started showing fault codes
P1265 and P0673. Tried clearing the codes a few times, and also removing the battery terminals overnight, but no luck. Jeep drives fine and no smoke or lack of power. City consumption is just above 10L /100. Starts just fine as I am located in sunny QLD so glow plug issues would have minimal affect.

Using Torque Pro, P0673 shows an issue with glow plug on Cylinder 3, so I assume it will need to be replaced. P1265 shows also shows an issue with Glow Plug #3.

I assume it might be time for new injectors, or could it be something else ?
Can I just ignore the errors until I get it fixed at the next timing belt change ?

Last edited by KJ75; 13-10-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 14-10-2018
Established Member

Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts

Bear in mind that glow #3 and Glow plug #2 sometimes could have the harness swapped over....so maybe it is not actually #3 failing!

Before removing #3 try swapping the connectors over on the two glow plugs....if fault still calls out #3 then there is nothing wrong with the plug itself but is a wiring problem ie. bad connection or wire chafing to engine.

before pulling out the injectors try using a good brand Diesel Injector Cleaner in the fuel tank.
Old 16-10-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I meant to say it may be time for new glow plug previously, and not injectors.
I think my injectors are fine as there is no smoke and consumption seems to be norm.
Thanks for the tip around checking the wiring first. I also read I can do a simple continuity test on the glow plugs also.

How are the glow plugs numbered ?
What glow plugs does everyone get here in Australia (cold starting not a big concern here in QLD) ?

At 185K km I don't mind swapping the stock glow plugs, as I heard the ceramics can sometimes break.
Being in QLD cold starting is not really an issue, and I was going to get 7v Etechno metal. I am sure I am still on 7v programming.

Last edited by KJ75; 16-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 16-10-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Went onto the Bosch website and the recommended GP were 0250202038 (11v).
NGK recommended Y1031J which is also 11v.

However these seem to be rated at 11v, and I am pretty sure I have 7v.
Is there an issue running these Bosch GP 0250202038 in my 2006 CRD ?

Last edited by KJ75; 16-10-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 16-10-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I was just quoted $1200 (Brisbane North) to replace the 4 glow plugs. They will also clean the intake since it has to come out. Shop mentioned the NGK and Bosch parts were correct I listed above, and the 11v rating on the Bosch means they can handle up to 11v. Shop advised I should get this done soon as there could be long term damage otherwise.

I can get the Bosch 0250202038 (made in France) plugs for $32 each from Repco (on clearance).
I will have to do this myself, as I can't afford $1200 at the moment (currently looking for work).

There is also the question if I have to get anything else done like flashing the ECU.

Last edited by KJ75; 16-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 16-10-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts
Default Glow plugs

The original glow plugs would have been bosch 7 volt ceramics which where discontinued because of tip breakages and are no longer made. I bought etechno plugs from the US. as they are 7 volt metal tips ( not quite as good as the ceramics but not an issue in or climate). There should be a yellow sticker on the front timing cover that states 7 volt plugs.

Jeep then came out with 5 volt replacement plugs but your suppose to get a new 5 volt glow plug relay with them, however plenty of guys in the US have run the 5 volt plugs with the original relay and not had issues.

I think a lot of the parts listings are for the early KJ diesels before the motor updates in 2005 and are the 11 volt plug.

It not a hard job once you remove the inlet pipe just be patient and don't add any side load when undoing them , they have been known to break the heads of and then they are a whole world of hurt to remove.

And wow $1200 to replace the plugs thats a rip off right there.
Old 17-10-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default glow plug

The Bosch 11v glow plug is for the earlier 2.5 CRD.

I ordered Etechno 1 GX3123 7v glow plugs from dieselglowplug.com in Italy at a fraction of the cost the local dealers (South Africa) wanted for the OEM glow plugs. Although the ceramic glow plugs were still functional I decided to replace due to horror stories regarding ceramic tips breaking off.....
Post New Thread  Reply