Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Mines been fixxed & has other reovery hook brackets in the way so a photo will only confuse. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you stick your head under the front of the car looking at the 3 bolt heads of the steering box bolts in the drivers side wheel arch. You will be able to see them moving in & out with the chassis rail wall flexxing. The cracks show up in this area mostly.
Cheers for the info.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 10-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the bolts that bolt the steering box tear straight thro the chassis, to fix it I got 2 plates of 6mm stainless steel drilled the holes in the correct spots and use the plate as on both sides to sort of a support the weak point and hold the steering box back in the correct position, it's a very common issue I've heard and is obvious when you see how thin the metal for the support us. Brent
Old 21-10-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Exclamation

Hi all,

There was no 'check' done in NZ. It was just 'do the recall'. All plates were fitted etc as a matter of course.

Jeep here will still happily do them. It is a 2 day job as a Govt. vehicle inspector has to inspect the/any welding. Big job as all the front comes off.

I would suggest all XJ owners call their dealers and check if the recall has been done. I do and I also tell anyone I see with a freshly imported KJ to get to the dealers and have the 2 recalls done those too!!

Have a day

Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOoz View Post
This is a known issue on the XJ. Mine is a 1995 limited, and I had the same thing occur about 3 years ago now. It was fixed by Chrysler under warranty.

There are many threads about it on this site, so do a quick search if you want more info. To summarise them, the chassis rail that the steering box is bolted to can flex (not properly engineered when they designed the right hand drive version), and over time this flexing softens the steel. High tensile bolts are not designed to flex so at some stage they snap in half. Have a look, it is impressive.

The dealers did a "check" when a recall was introduced a long time ago, but if your XJ passed the "check" it was never looked at again - but the problem becomes worse over time. So the warranty recall check had been done on my XJ, it passed, so they left the time bomb on the road until it finally failed.

ring your local dealer and explain the problem. You should have no issue having them repair it under the factory recall. They weld plates around the chassis and then re-assmble. An expensive job for them, free for you. they should have engineered it properly in the first place.

'18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
'42 Ford GPW
Yaesu FTM-300DR

Old 28-10-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this recall actually for both the diesel and the petrol versions or only for the petrol cars?

I don't know if the steering boxes are different on them...?

Last edited by Evert; 28-10-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok dose any one have pics of a modded chasis rail
my 97 (96 build) has some recal stickers on the door
but now i have a noise in the front end but only when its raining ???
i have searched hight and low and cant fined anything yet
looked at the steering box and it looks like nothing spical. normal
but i have a bad feeling that it is going to have to be a box mount for rail issue.
is jeep still helping with this issue or have they wiped there hands of this issue
i will try and rin jeep later on and see how i go.
but if any one has pics of a modded box would be a big help
Old 03-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mato View Post
Ok dose any one have pics of a modded chasis rail
my 97 (96 build) has some recal stickers on the door
but now i have a noise in the front end but only when its raining ???
i have searched hight and low and cant fined anything yet
looked at the steering box and it looks like nothing spical. normal
but i have a bad feeling that it is going to have to be a box mount for rail issue.
is jeep still helping with this issue or have they wiped there hands of this issue
i will try and rin jeep later on and see how i go.
but if any one has pics of a modded box would be a big help
I had mine fixed just before Christmas, I called them up with my VIN and they checked their records and then sent me to their panel beater. There was no pain at all other than not having the Jeep for two days.
Old 03-02-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who did you call? the local Jeep dealer or Jeep Australia?
Post New Thread  Reply