TJ softop roofrack help - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default TJ softop roofrack help

Hi. I just tried to fit the tent in the back of my TJ with the rear seats tumbled and its a few inches to long. I am thinking a roof rack will be the wtg for some extra storage or when I need room for more than 2 people. I am competent with designing so thats not an issue and I know someone who can weld but I am looking for some help with ideas (so pics of anyone elses) and also where I could mount it. I would like to be able to remove it easily from the bottom (so theres no tubing going over the roof) and not interfere with the soft top. It will be my daily driver so just keep that in mind if you have any suggestions.
Thanks for any help.
PS obviously new to jeeping (and 4wding/cars in general) so pics would help with explenations a lot.
Old 02-04-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Must be a BIG tent, you get a fair bit more room if you remove the back seat BTW

I have a Kargo master? think that's it, that mount to the front windscreen hinges and has a plate that is sandwiched under the rear tail lights (it also has an extra hole on the mounting plate for a stabalising bolt.

They sell these (oh look an updated version) from quadratec, I'd ask wooders first - he knows stuff.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_000_07.htm
...snip
Unmatched quality, high-tech design and superior durability. The Congo Cage features easy installation with common tools.The high-strength steel Congo Cage is constructed from round 1.625” diameter tubing and can support up to 500 pounds. Hinged rear mounts & easy-release front mounts provide convenient soft top removal and installation. Great for hauling canoes, kayaks, lumber and pipes when used with the optional Congo Cage Utility Crossbars. Supertough black polyester powder coat finish provides lasting protection.
...snip

here's how it look son the back

and the frount

Old 02-04-2011
Full Flexer

Yer it's a big tent. It's a heavy duty 2 person thing. Best tent ever though. Easy as to setup and pack up. Someone we know brought a quick setup tent camping with us. Took it out of the bag and it Exploded and after that we couldn't get it back in the bag. Ended up having a tent in the trailer.
Back on topic I would rather keep the rear seats in. Are tailights really a good solid mounting point though? Right now I'm thinking leaving brackets permanently mounted with small pieces if tube that the rack slides into. The rear being hinged for soft top folding.
Also I'm poor so buying is not an option.
Thanks for that thought it gave me a few good starting ideas.
Old 27-05-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd mount it off the rear body mount points
Old 27-05-2011
Full Flexer

I have a good idea about what i want it to do. Making a bull bar and eear bar this weekend so I think this will be my next project. Basically just mount it from the regular front mounts like all the other ones and then a hinge on the rear bar. Both disconectable since I dont want it on the whole time.
Thanks.
Old 27-05-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea there no way I would bolt on behind rear lights, there are three tiny screws holdin them on. Unless you drilled them out and put nutserts an much bigger bolts in.
Going down to body mount is great idea
Old 27-05-2011
Full Flexer

Yer thats what I was thinking. Why mount a roof rack to a point engineered to hold a light. 8mm square tube mounted to the chassis should hold it.
A little off topic but any idea where I can find the laws for modifying a vehicle in victoria?
Thanks.
Post New Thread  Reply