Homemade Rear bar and Carrier - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look'n good steve, you don't muck about do ya!
Old 03-12-2006
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont diss the cheaper tools too quickly... My dad whos a builder buys Ozito and the other 2 cheaper brands that major hardware stores sell. it may be cheap stuff, but he rathers that angle grinder or hammerdrill break down than the good Stuff like Makita cos they want way too much to fix it.. im talking like $300 for just a switch. so 29 bucks for a angle grinder and ur laughing..

Oh on another Note sucks to be other states than SA because apparently they have banned the use of 9" angle grinder over there?

Anyways nice looking bar Steve... its comming along well. MIG is much easier actually LOTS! easier. and get a nice contant weld forming and good penetration is easy. im getting my MIG thiss year a CIG Weld or a Miller Matic rounf $800 or so worth.
Old 03-12-2006
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Horses for courses I guess.
Im happy to use cheap tools and throw them away at the end of a job, Ive found over the years that my 15 year old Makita grinder, circular saw and cordless are still going fine, with normal replacements like brushes and batteries, my Sidchrome and Kinchrome spanners and sockets are still workin fine,my (older) Stanley planes and screwdrivers, BAhco shifters, all still good.

Talk to me about your Ozito or GMC tools that are still working once they are older than you

But Hijack over,
Steve if you can get that life and performance with what youve got, Kudos to you and your skills.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 03-12-2006
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I do agree with you on the tools, my drill is a makita and I've had it for 9 years now, cooked it using a hole saw on it on 8mm plate but it recovered and is still running fine. The welder was always going to be a stop gap measure with plans for something bigger and better always in the works As for the grinder, well I've cut 8mm steel, stone and run it for many hours a day with no problems. When it dies I'll get something better now I use it so often.

Errrm, not sure I'll ever have an electrical tool older than me, not many from the 60's still around

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-12-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

lookin good, re the tail lights according to my mate who wears a blue uniform ,indicators and stop tail lights are supposed to be visible for an angle of 30degrees hence all the pootrols and pajes with tail lights in the back bumper just been to nsw act and vic had plenty of patrol cars behind me and didnt get pulled over (yet) will fit some when i finish my jerry can swing away. keep up the good work del
Old 04-12-2006
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo
What catch have you sourced?
Decided on a bear claw catch, same sort of thing used on car doors, they have a very high load rating as they are designed to keep people in the car if it rolls etc. Sourced one from an importer for $26.00 including the bolt it latches to. The best bit is I can slam the carrier shut like a car door and just use a thumb pull to open it. At least that's the plan at the moment and for the price it's worth giving it a go.

It's the 1-400 in this PDF. It complies with the US Federal Motor Saftey Standards 206.

http://www.eberhard.com/PDF/section_1.pdf

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-12-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That catch looks the goods I'll be following this thread to see how it works out