WG/WJ Stereo Upgrade Advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2023

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default WG/WJ Stereo Upgrade Advice

Does anyone have any experience installing the T'eyes head units in a 2004 WG?
Or any experience regarding the T'eyes product?
Will it connect direct to the Steering Wheel Input via CanBus?
Is it direct connect to the Infinity amp? Or should amp be replaced or bridged?

Top spec is on offer for AU$807
https://teyes.com.au/products/teyes-...39762438291652
Old 12-03-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaWA View Post
Does anyone have any experience installing the T'eyes head units in a 2004 WG?
Or any experience regarding the T'eyes product?
Will it connect direct to the Steering Wheel Input via CanBus?
Is it direct connect to the Infinity amp? Or should amp be replaced or bridged?

Top spec is on offer for AU$807
https://teyes.com.au/products/teyes-...39762438291652
I have no experience with this particular one but I had ordered another one allegedly also for the Jeep WJ. I assume you still need to fiddle around with the wiring in the back a bit. On my V8 i cut the wires since the previous owner already screwed a lot of things up. In the CRD I got the right connectors and just needed to reposition a couple of the pins so that they line up correctly.

The head unit I have does not really seem to have an input for the steering wheel so I did not attach, or did not really look hard enough. If I really keep this thing it is certainly something I have to do. it is really dangerous looking for the volume button which is way on the other side (almost passenger side) with the windy roads. There is not volume button but I need to use the touch screen which is not the best in the world.

It does connect to the amp though if you feed the output of your unit into the input of the amp. Best is to get a layout of the head unit you want to buy and map it against the layout of the jeep. The sound is pretty decent and even without a subwoofer I have a good bass if you like that.

I used these layouts to help me finding the right wires https://wjbible.com/audiowire.html

Then I got a connector off eBay. You will still have most likely a newly DIN normed output connector and best is getting an adaptor. the WJ / WG had 2 layouts as far as I know. I got these so that mine was matching https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401544850162 and https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394318652595. Most likely for the connectors. Unless you have a really good matching adapter you still need to do a bit of soldering or wire swapping. For that get yourself some terminal remover keys like these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/285084170364. Try to keep the harness of the jeep as untouched as possible. If you want to solder or tap into wires, do that on the provided cables and wires of the head unit.

I am pretty sure you can get this all going, just try to get as much info as you can and map it against the layout of your jeep.

If you scroll down on the website you will see which connector does not work. the 2004 should not have these but bigger ones (as I do and shown in one of the eBay links). It looks like this company offers a connector directly but the price is a bit hefty https://teyes.com.au/products/jeep-g...ble-and-canbus.

Just be aware it looks that this Product is Chinese or Russian so do not expect too much esp. if things do not work as expected and you need their support.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

I put a single DIN large screen fold out head unit in my daughters WG I6 petrol about 7 years ago and found some advice on a US forum on how to connect the unit so the steering wheel controls still worked. The stereo is a piece of pure chinesium but has remained trouble free all these years. The detailed method I don’t remember but it involved cutting one wire and put a jumper wire in.
Old 12-03-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
I put a single DIN large screen fold out head unit in my daughters WG I6 petrol about 7 years ago and found some advice on a US forum on how to connect the unit so the steering wheel controls still worked. The stereo is a piece of pure chinesium but has remained trouble free all these years. The detailed method I don’t remember but it involved cutting one wire and put a jumper wire in.
Thanks for the tip. Just quickly searched online and found this video.

As mentioned I am not sure if mine got a steering wheel control input but if then I will follow this guys instructions.
Old 12-03-2023

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Thanks all for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
...As mentioned I am not sure if mine got a steering wheel control input but if then I will follow this guys instructions.
JoergM, attached is a schematic with Key wire connection shown.
Normally the button signal is multiplexed and sent via the CanBus. This may work without using the Key1/2 wire if using using a CanBus converter module (which will also give you access to all of the vehicle parameters without the OBDII module).
Have a look at the WJJeeps replica site: https://wj.jeep.casa/steering_sw.htm#RADIO

Last edited by MuzzaWA; 12-03-2023 at 11:25 PM. Reason: 2nd image added
Old 13-03-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Interesting schematic, thanks for sharing. Not sure if I want to buy yet another part for a car which I might not keep but for the sake of security for myself and a potential future owner, I will certainly run the wire into my head unit.

I did some more research and there is a key wire on my head unit which I can use so that I can change things thru the steering wheel.
Old 13-03-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaWA View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

JoergM, attached is a schematic with Key wire connection shown.
Normally the button signal is multiplexed and sent via the CanBus. This may work without using the Key1/2 wire if using using a CanBus converter module (which will also give you access to all of the vehicle parameters without the OBDII module).
Have a look at the WJJeeps replica site: https://wj.jeep.casa/steering_sw.htm#RADIO

I have a bluetooth dongle wired there for steering wheel control adaptation to an Android phone acting as a head unit and Torque can't see any engine data.

Last edited by Adrian D; 13-03-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply