4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics! - Page 27 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default my 1996 xj gets hot....!

Have been reading post by Rodgebone with much interest on a very informative article re xj six cylinder engine overheating issues. Firstly congratulations on a great article. Found this web site after searching the net for solutions for my 1996 XJ CHEROKEE, now i need to find a solution that works. Would appreciate any positive feedback from guys here who have tackled this problem with success. Have been looking on a website Liquid Intelligence, who have a range of products which may help. ie products 115,239,500, and high flow thermostats. Purchased my 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE XJ Sport/Classic six,petrol,lpg 12 months ago, this summer here in Adelaide we have 4 days of above 40 deg c. Recently had to go out, ambient was about 38deg c and 30 min trip each way and the temp gauge when i got home was nudging 115, i am concerned that its getting too hot and will take necessary fault finding. When i purchased the car it had 65k original k's now only just getting to 69k. Its been well looked after and serviced by time not kms and appears to be original and well kept. Cooling system drain and refill in 2014, running the green 50/50 chrysler product, all the obvious things like belt,fans,coolant level seem okay, not loosing any coolant. I am thinking of changing the thermostat with a liquid intelligence high flow one and there 500 product. After talking with Peter at Liquid Intelligence he claims the 500 product would give an improved thermal capacity of 35% increase.
So what do you guys think.....suggest.
Old 14-03-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I cant get my 1996 to run cool changed every thing see my frustrating thread
Old 14-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Well, I finally found the source of my overheating problem.
Not that long ago I replaced the a/c coil in the car. It turns out that when I reconnected the heater hoses, the hose clamps I used didn't make it seal. So when the system heated up, the temperature went up because the system couldn't maintain the pressure. But no visible leaks.
So to find out where the leak was, I took the hose off the overflow bottle, connected it to my air compressor and pumped in 15psi. I checked the radiator cap for this measurement. After a few minutes I found the leak!
Very happy ☺

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 14-03-2016
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
I cant get my 1996 to run cool changed every thing see my frustrating thread

Yeah that thread kinda got overrun didn't it...
There's typical causes for specific issues. Maybe jump back on the thread with your latest updates/summary and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Well, I was still having overheating problems. I know it's the cheap eBay fan I put on a year ago. It's barely sucking any air through the radiator. Went up to Perth over Easter and found someone wrecking a Ford Taurus. So as soon as I got home, you know the first thing I'm going to do, right?
Well it turns out my Taurus fan is only about 14”. Different sizes for different models perhaps? Got some sheet metal and and pit a piece on each side of the Jeep shroud, traced the Taurus fan around the inside edge and cut it out. Used pop rivets to hold it all together. Filled in the gaps with some high density foam strip I had. Put it back into the Jeep and now it's running nice and cool.
Took it for a drive along Parry beach down to mazaleties beach at the end of Green pool. The needle got as high as 107°. What I was even more impressed about is that when I stopped, the high speed cut off in less than 30 seconds!

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460255660289.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	73760  

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 10-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

I get a little better results and I'm stock set up save for the transmission cooler doesn't run through the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-04-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Have read all the threads on over heating.. there has been some heated debate in those, that is for sure.
I have some overheating issues on the beach, so i have decided to bite the bullet and replace some parts, do some mods, do some cleaning and put it all back together for some hopefully trouble free motoring. I have had the XJ 10 years and only flushed once and replaced the rad once (ebay cheapie), so it is due for an overhaul, and therefor a baseline to work from, as all parts will be new.

Mods already done:

Runcool bonnet vents.
Dirt bound offroad triple fan setup.
Removed bash plate.

New mods:

Flow Kooler 747 high flow water pump.
Derale 12741 tranny cooler, bypassing radiator.
3 row all ally radiator.
Stant 10331 radiator cap.
Stant 45359 thermostat. (195F).
New silicon rad hoses and new heater hoses.
New thermostat housing, modified to high flow.
Black light torch to check and rectify any leaks.
Chem and reverse flush system, then fit new rad.
Premix coolant at 50/50.

This project will be ongoing over the next few months so i will keep you all posted on results.

Cheers,
Post New Thread  Reply