What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 1661 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Just the rubber blanking cap on the bleed line nipple that isn't used on #4. Wasn't a big leak but just enough to drip and leave a spot about the size of a 20c piece under it. There was such a build up of old oil all over the engine. The turbo and intake area was another filthy spot as you would expect. If fuel consumption could get any better, I would be well impressed
Diesel mercedes benzs have the same problem. I have used a small piece of tube with a bit of rod jammed in it. A screw doesnt work well as the fuel comes out along the thread.
Quote:
LH side step was already slightly bent. They are good stone deflectors but would probably do more damage in the bush considering they are bolted to the sill anyway.
My LH one has a 1/4" bend under the front door. Better than a dent in the door or seal panel though.

Quote:
My preggers wife wasn't so impressed with my efforts, more so especially when I told her I plan to lift it next time I get home from work haha
I guess congratulations are in order! You will have plenty of time while you are away to design a fold down step for her. A good rough ride in the jeep may get things happening sooner than expected !!

It looks like the #1 hydraulic lifters may be stuck on the other jeep.If that is the case, the #1 head probably needs to come off again. Havent had much time to work on it & its too hot lately.
Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Diesel mercedes benzs have the same problem. I have used a small piece of tube with a bit of rod jammed in it. A screw doesnt work well as the fuel comes out along the thread.

My LH one has a 1/4" bend under the front door. Better than a dent in the door or seal panel though.

I guess congratulations are in order! You will have plenty of time while you are away to design a fold down step for her. A good rough ride in the jeep may get things happening sooner than expected !!

It looks like the #1 hydraulic lifters may be stuck on the other jeep.If that is the case, the #1 head probably needs to come off again. Havent had much time to work on it & its too hot lately.
Yeah thanks, it was a good rough ride that got her that way to begin with...well that's my version There was a few sketchy moments when I hit a couple of washouts up the beach a bit quick, but thankfully my 3 yr old parrot was in the back so Mum couldn't swear at me
Step is sorted, I showed her which milk crate she could use. Don't want her wrecking any of my good ones.
So far for the leak I just turned the cap and it stopped, but I'll go the parts guy tomorrow and get some rubber caps used to blank vacuum ports on carbies and see how it goes in the diesel. Should be ok I think considering they are usually used with petrol.

Have you had a look at the camshaft yet? I've seen a few followers skid on the lobe which after time can be that bad that they burr the follower and it jams in the lifter bore. Not knowing the VM setup, not sure if this is even possible, but just a thought.
Old 11-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Yeah thanks, it was a good rough ride that got her that way to begin with...well that's my version There was a few sketchy moments when I hit a couple of washouts up the beach a bit quick, but thankfully my 3 yr old parrot was in the back so Mum couldn't swear at me
I think you must be talking about 2 different activities!

Quote:
Step is sorted, I showed her which milk crate she could use. Don't want her wrecking any of my good ones.
I fully understand. All a matter of priorities! Milk crates are getting hard to come by these days, people dont just leave them lying around like they used to.

Quote:
So far for the leak I just turned the cap and it stopped, but I'll go the parts guy tomorrow and get some rubber caps used to blank vacuum ports on carbies and see how it goes in the diesel. Should be ok I think considering they are usually used with petrol.
I have tried vac tube & it goes soft after about a year. There are many diesels that use the flexible tube. VW is one I know of. Its viton tube if you want max life. Probably the rest of the tubes are about to fail. Its well worth just replacing the lot. Be careful removing it. Dont use a sharp edge to cut it off the injectors. If you scratch the edge of the barb on the injector they leak even with new hose.

Quote:
Have you had a look at the camshaft yet? I've seen a few followers skid on the lobe which after time can be that bad that they burr the follower and it jams in the lifter bore. Not knowing the VM setup, not sure if this is even possible, but just a thought.
The followers & lifters are the same thing. I think its a cup with a piston in it & the push rod sits in the piston. There is no clearance on both #1 valves. They are tight against the rocker, probably open a couple of thou. Will know more after playing with it a bit more.
Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
The followers & lifters are the same thing.
Same same, but different just my fingers typing faster than my brain can keep up with But you get my point anyway right, I'd be checking cam as well. Do you know if anyone had ever messed with timing gears etc?
Old 11-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Same same, but different just my fingers typing faster than my brain can keep up with But you get my point anyway right, I'd be checking cam as well. Do you know if anyone had ever messed with timing gears etc?
It didnt look like the front cover has been off.
When I get the lifters out I will have a look at the cam lobes.
Old 12-01-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default What did you do to your XJ today ?

Clearing out the garage this weekend and found a 5L GM Dex3 I bought for my old commodore. Think it would be suitable for the NP242?
Old 12-01-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by low ranger View Post
do you have a pic of the BPE mod incl the shock fit?
I just used some excess rear swaybar mounts for the rear of mine. Just waiting for my front ones to arrive, then never again will I have to deal with those damn bar pins!

Got the idea from BleepinJeep.
Post New Thread  Reply