Has my 4.7HO died? (video attached). - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Has my 4.7HO died? (video attached).

Ello, I'll try and keep this short, but stuffed if I know what's going on.. I always changed oil and filters regularly with mobil 1 and the temperature has never exceeded 100 even driving through beach sand.

Some months back I tried to start it (2003 Overland) and the thing would "rattle rattle rattle" but after turning it off and back on again it ran smooth as silk. This happened 3 or 4 times but after turning it off and on again it would run fine so I just assumed it was a bad connection to one of the electrics... one of those intermittent type faults.

Recently after making a short few km trip it happened again but re starting didn't solve the issue. It kept running like that.. luckily I was only a few kms from home.

Has my well looked after engine destroyed itself out of the blue It's got around 220,000 on the clock.

Sorry about the really bad and shakey video - I have a broken wrist and the car is parked right alongside a fence so it was really difficult to do and I was trying to hurry incase it only did more damage (if that's even possible at this stage).

If anyone could please provide some or all of:
- What do you think is wrong?
- Is the engine really dead or can it be fixed? It was a great engine.
- What was the cause of whatever is wrong? even though the cause is a moot point would like to know.

Thanks https://youtu.be/P7_LQLuhFZM
Old 07-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

One or more collapsed hydraulic lifter, me thinks.
Old 07-04-2018
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
One or more collapsed hydraulic lifter, me thinks.
Yeah, I agree.

Sounds like it. I have similar sound in mine as my solid lifters weren’t set right. So gonna get to the rocker covers anfd change back to hydraulics.
Old 07-04-2018

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Cheers for that..

Is pulling the rocker covers off a doable job for someone familiar with fixing the modular parts of cars like replacing starters and changing brake pads but never delved into any internals? And once off would that person be able to fix the lifters themselves (i'll start hunting for a workshop manual right away).

If not can you give a rough guide on the cost of fixing it? I'm guessing even the parts alone would cost a bit.

Edit to add: Would this problem result in a lack of power? I've obviously not driven it since but on the way home the ol girl was struggling up a steep hill at the end of my street. It also turned itself off twice.

Last edited by travy.b; 07-04-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I would allow around $200 for a set of new lifters and 2 rocker cover gaskets, allow around a days work for the task.
If you are going to have a go, you need to be very careful do one side at a time and keep the cam chain tight when the cam is removed as the cam chain auto tensioning is a one way ratchet and if you allow them to extend you cannot get them to retract without removing the timing cover as well.
Old 09-04-2018

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

That's not to bad considering I thought it may have been a dropped valve seat or something. Even though it's never overheated it was still in my mind. For $200 odd bucks I don't care if it takes me all week heh.
Old 09-04-2018
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travy.b View Post
That's not to bad considering I thought it may have been a dropped valve seat or something. Even though it's never overheated it was still in my mind. For $200 odd bucks I don't care if it takes me all week heh.
Mate, keep posting as I will have to do exactly the same shit, starting mine on Friday I think.

Post up piccies using the Quick Upload button below.

Will be asking Classic Boy for help too..

Post New Thread  Reply