XJ Roof Rack Options - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XJ Roof Rack Options

Gday All
The 99 xj I have had the pleasure of working on recently was supplied without a key for the roof racks. After mucking about I found a key which opened the keyed cover but that was all. Inside was the local Sydney manufacturers name RAK so was able to source keys direct. The quality of these racks is way better in my opinion to the ones fitted to the earlier XJ which have a tendency to brake at the lever tab adjuster. I found out they make direct upgraded replacements for the XJ. I was very impressed with the amount of work they have done re development of their design. Plus the prices seemed pretty fair.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAK XJ Rack Systems #2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	23743   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAK XJ Rack Systems#1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	23744  
Old 08-01-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.roof-racks.com.au/Tech_info/tech_info.html
RAK web details
Old 03-03-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Black XJ

Thanks for the rack link tip. I've had no bad sticking problems with the factory racks yet, but I'm really uncertain about these racks in an off-road situation with a load up. They seem to be have elasticised shock mounts & when I grab the roof rack basket and give it hard shove the bars nearly pop out of their sockets and the rails appear to move as well. Have you or anyone else used the factory bars off -rd with a load up? Can I trust the bars? Can I trust the rails? I'm thinking of getting a gutter-mounted system either quality bars and a basket or a solid steel/alli 4WD rack like Track Lander (except that I'm a tight-arse & $1600 is just too much!).

Any recommendations?

PS: on an extended camping trip, I normally carry a rack sack with camping stuff/surf boards/water, jerry cans and a spare wheel and tyre - I know, toooo much stuff, I should be trying to keep the weight low & I might put in another fuel tank.
Old 03-03-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A good roof rack thread is http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68358
Old 03-03-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I would not trust the standard racks, they don't look substantial enough to me.

I purchased Rhino heavy duty cross bars to mount my ARB awning onto, and would be happy to mount a basket on these, the gutters would have to be able to support more than the centre of the roof where the rails are.
Old 03-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Built custom one using both gutters and the roof skin mounts that the factory rail system used.

Thing probably adds strength to the roof as well.
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Old 04-03-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Food for thought, our custom Thule rack.

Hi Black XJ
We had no problem with the o.e. bars, except the load bearing. Like a lot of people, I did want to get a rear tyre carrier to start with, till I found two problems, not easy to use off road, and bloody expensive.
I looked at racks, etc, and found again not versitile and again bloddy expensive.
I started by using stock gutter mount Thule, see pic 1, they stick out to much and the plactic knobs are asking to be ripped off. Out came the hacksaw, cut bar to just over length of mount, end caps reattached with sealent, and stainless screws in the top. See pic 2.
I then replaced the knobs with socket cap screws, again we eventually went for stainless, phosphated just did not hold up.
Although not pretty, see pic 3, it takes some knocks on the green lane in Kent. You would not get a Landy down this trail, pic 4. I did loose the gutter mount ariel on this run, the rack seemed not worse for it though.
I do not know if the fittings are the same for a post 97 rack, however the trimming may be possible.
I willbe puting some more pics of this up on our website when I get time as we are rebuilding it. Hope this helps.

www.thecherokee.com

Name:	roof1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	24690

Name:	roof2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	24691