Waiting on the Jeep Scrambler - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2019
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Waiting on the Jeep Scrambler

2020 Jeep GladiatorIt’s Jeep’s answer to the Ford Ranger, Toyota HiLux and Nissan Navara, and yet another addition to the busy mid-size ute segment. Based on the new JL Wrangler which will land locally this year, the upcoming Scrambler will be an off-road ready ute with unique rugged looks.

The Scrambler name itself comes from the Jeep Wrangler CJ-8, built through 1981-86, that was commonly fitted with a ‘Scrambler’ appearance package. The CJ-8 had a detachable half-cab that turned the four-wheel drive into a ute - hence the name - though the only model sold in Australia at the time had a full steel hardtop roof.

In its most basic form the Scrambler is a four-door Wrangler with a ute tray on the back. It requires modifications to the ladder frame chassis and a tray rear-end behind the second-row seats. The rear tailgate remains a mystery but will likely have Jeep embossed across it with the Scrambler name nearby. But from the B-pillar forward it will essentially look like a Wrangler.

Given the Scrambler’s heritage and Jeep’s penchant to bring out special edition models there will no doubt be a bunch of optional packs for the ute, bringing back the twin side stripes and unique alloys the original received.

Based on the latest JL Wrangler we can expect a similar level of robust design inside, including a chunky moulded dash, round air vents, new diff lock and sway bar control switches, a mix of analogue and digital dash displays and an up to 8.4-inch infotainment system.

Based on the ladder frame chassis that underpins the Wrangler, the Scrambler will be geared towards off-road use and have a one tonne-payload with 3500kg tow capacity.

Engine options from the Wrangler that will pop straight in include the new 200kW/400Nm 2.0-litre petrol turbo and a 194kW/600Nm 3.0-litre V6 diesel that would sit top of the class – but those engines are pretty well off the cards for Australia.

Instead, we’d likely have the choice of a 2.2-litre turbo diesel engine producing 150kW and 450Nm, and an updated 3.6-litre petrol V6 producing around 210kW of power and 350Nm of torque.

Transmissions will be a six-speed manual and eight-speed automatic mated to Jeep’s Selec-Trac four-wheel drive system.

A point of difference over some of the competition will be if the Scrambler is able to secure safety technology from the Wrangler like autonomous emergency braking that it will need to score a five star ANCAP rating.

What’s on the wish list?

The 3.0-litre V6 would add a third ute to the V6 turbo diesel fight that’s currently owned by German rivals the VW Amarok and Mercedes-Benz X-Class. But why go only halfway when the US brand can salute its heritage with a Hellcat-style Hemi V8 that’d blow HSV’s Sportscat and Ford Ranger Raptor out of the water.

When is it coming?

The new Wrangler is only around the corner and the Scrambler won’t be far behind. It’s tipped to reveal itself in full towards the end of this year or early next, perhaps as early as the LA motor show in November.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
BMD
Old 31-01-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

What is the difference between the Gladiator and the Scrambler?
Old 06-02-2019
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Igoing by the price of the Rubicon jl, I don't see how it can compete with the Toyota 79 dual cab. The gxl with Diff locks comes in slightly more expensive than the Rubicon, but comes with a twin turbo diesel and a 3.5 tonne towing capacity. AND it comes in manual only. I've been a huge jeep fan, since I was about 5 and the neighbours had 2 golden Eagles. An cj7, xj and now a cj8, I think I'll be trading up to the cruiser. Mega bummed out, but at that price point, the jl is just too expensive for what you get.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 19-02-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

So the JT Rubicon will be cheaper, have a better interior, more and better safety systems, a more torquey and more economical diesel engine, a great auto gearbox, better off-road ability, the same payload and the same towing capacity as a 79... Remind me again what makes the Cruiser better?
Old 20-02-2019
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
So the JT Rubicon will be cheaper, have a better interior, more and better safety systems, a more torquey and more economical diesel engine, a great auto gearbox, better off-road ability, the same payload and the same towing capacity as a 79... Remind me again what makes the Cruiser better?
Cheaper? More toque than a twin turbo v8? It's also available now. I'd love a jt... But I can't see it being cheaper than a 79 dual cab.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bogged; 20-02-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 20-02-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

So there will be a new Scrambler? I don't like the design of the new Gladiator
Old 21-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

The Cruiser 4.5 V8 turbodiesel has 1kw more power but 20Nm less torque than the FCA 2.2 turbodiesel.

No, I'm wrong and it probably won't be cheaper but you get more and better from a $80k JT than a $80k 79 GXL.