Front Panhard Rod End - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Front Panhard Rod End

Each time I head off road for some decent wheeling I come back home and the nut holding the front panhard to the chassis bracket has loosened. I first noticed it when it was fairly loose after a bit of a click sound when going around gentle corners. Ever since then I have kept an eye on it.

My concern is that I have now tightened the nut about 4 times. Each time I have had to tighten it about half a turn. There is now bugger all room left for the rubber boot and I feel that if I keep tightening it that I will just be stretching the threaded bolt attaching to the ball. If that was to slap on the highway I would hate to think what would happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? My stocko (OEM) rod end attaching to the steering box is still sweet(second photo). I bought the front adjustable panhard off a local dealer up here less then 2 years ago when I bought some wheels/tyres from them. They are not a sponsor on here but I might have to give Wooders a call (just don't know the brand of the panhard rod/size of the thread).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 30-06-2011
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe the joint is on its way out and wearing and by tightening your just takin up the slack again, "should" be a standard tie rod thread, ring Wooder as these are worth ******** all.
Old 30-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers Itchy. I'll call him when I get a moment tomorrow. Need to get a few other things.
Old 30-06-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would recommend replacing your tie rod end first, if it happens again id say the tapered housing has enlarged slightly where the tie rod end bolts through.
Try placing a decent size washer between the top of the chassis mount and split pin locking nut.

What size suspension lift are you running?
Old 30-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper View Post
I would recommend replacing your tie rod end first, if it happens again id say the tapered housing has enlarged slightly where the tie rod end bolts through.
Try placing a decent size washer between the top of the chassis mount and split pin locking nut.

What size suspension lift are you running?
Running a set of 3.5" RE Springs up front. Flexs a little beyond the full length of the springs on occasions though. Was thinking that on full flex the end might now be binding but I haven't had the time to pull the bolt holding the diff end of the rod, and move things by hand.

Tapered housing is made of cast iron so I would be pretty surprised if it has become enlarged but maybe. I'll know when I throw a new end in I guess. Thanks for the tip re the washer. I'll see what fits in. By memory though a small washer is the only option given the bracket design.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 30-06-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Id definitely say you need to lower the panhard with a drop down bracket to get it more parallel with the diff. Which will lesson the angle of your panhard, and minimize binding when having full droop on the passenger side. Disconnecting the tie rod at diff end and moving by hand will give you and idea if it is
binding.

Last edited by jeepercreeper; 30-06-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 30-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked into the drop bracket about a year ago and decided against it for a few reasons. Might have to re think things and get a drop pitman arm as well to keep angles sweet.

Is anyone running a drop panhard bracket? Any thoughts, recommendations etc.
Post New Thread  Reply