Offroad Camper Trailer Suggestions - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2019
Established Member

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default Offroad Camper Trailer Suggestions

Hi,

I'm after some offroad camper trailer suggestions. I have a 2013 JK shorty rubi which I believe has 750kg unbraked or 1000kg braked capacity? I plan on going camping with myself, wife and 2 kids (young). Price isn't really an issue. I'm happy to pay for the right set up. I'm hoping to get my wife into it (the hardest sell) so some mod cons would be ideal. We will be doing some extended trips of up to 2 weeks and eventually and if she likes it we plan on doing a lap.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

Jono
Old 14-07-2019

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Dunno if it’ll suit your needs, but we used to have a Jayco J-Pod. For sleeping comfort for 2 adults it was hard to beat. Proper mattress inside insulated fiberglass sandwich construction - far better than being surrounded by flapping canvas.

It came with a large attachable tent section - to be honest was a bit of a PITA to put up/take down, so I guess it depends how much effort youre happy to put in and whether you’re looking at quick overnight stops or longer stays. Depending on the age of your kids, maybe tent/swags could be an option too?

Depending on how ‘off-road’ you need it to be, most models are leaf sprung, but would be pretty easy to flip the axle under the spring for some extra clearance, plus there’s the outback version with independent suspension.
Old 14-07-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Have a good look at CUB (Cub) campers. They are light weight & been around a long time. Most camper trailers are big & heavy require way too much flat ground to put up. I would suggest that you need a camper that can be put up/down in around 15 to 20 min max. Most camper trailers take way too long to put up if you are only doing an overnight stop.
I have a 40 year old ACT that has been everywhere. When I got it, I reinforced the frame & fitted jeep wheels. Has been on many 4wd racks in the Vic high country & other tracks in various places arouns Australia.
Old 14-07-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Unfortunately 1000kg isn't too much to play with, and with around 340 (ballpark) kg of GVM to play with, assuming 80 to 100kg is ballweight alone by a 10 percent guide. Limits you to 240kg of total vehicle weight remaining... take yourself, wife and kids from that figure and you can pretty much have spare clothes, a battery, and a jerry, again assuming you're cleanskin only on the wrangler.

It'd leave you to a lightweight softfloor camper at best I'm sorry to say, but not unachievable. I'm not sure how heavy MARS/CUB etc are. Maybe even a lightweight on-road rear fold could suit but you'd have to check weights. Next to no storage in them either and with 2 kids, 80Lt water etc etc it'd be a very tight squeeze on the weight budget. After setting up my soft floor for a night away the mrs suggested a forward fold upgrade needed to happen ASAP, so depending how hard a sell it is to your wife, it's something to think about.

Don't discount a big roof top tent, or a lightweight box trailer with a big roof top on it, or awning each side with the tent setup
(say from Kings)It's all dependent on your requirements. Electric brakes on a standard 8x5 cage trailer gives you upto 600kg of wriggle room up to your tonne.

Sorry to be 'that' guy mate but would hate to read of insurance being nullified or being booked.
Old 15-07-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Tend to agree with zacman. Our softfloor weight about 850kg dry.
Once its loaded up its over 1100kg. Forward folds weigh even more.

Whatever you do, buy second hand. There are heaps of units on the market.

Have a look here:

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?board=13.0

You might have to join up to view, but theyre a great lot, as per most camping/caravanning forums the only arguments are in the electrical section.....

Cheers.
Old 15-07-2019
Established Member

Thanks for the feedback. Kind of predicted these answers - just wanting to confirm it! Cheers
Old 15-07-2019
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace1 View Post
Tend to agree with zacman. Our softfloor weight about 850kg dry.
Once its loaded up its over 1100kg. Forward folds weigh even more.

Whatever you do, buy second hand. There are heaps of units on the market.

Have a look here:

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?board=13.0

You might have to join up to view, but theyre a great lot, as per most camping/caravanning forums the only arguments are in the electrical section.....

Cheers.
Thanks for the tip on this site too. I never knew it existed.
Post New Thread  Reply