Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-07-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Update....... I picked the XJ up last night..... all fixed. There has been plates welded on the chassis and all looking pretty good. Steers well, no complaints about the repairs........ HOWEVER,........ I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat. Did I forget to mention that they must have forgotten to tell me they accidentally broke that. It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesnt ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didnt rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line...... Guess who's getting a phone call first thing Monday morning?????
Old 24-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat.
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Quote:
It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesn't ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didn't rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line......

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars
Old 24-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazwegion View Post
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldnt have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Regardless of whether they were "under the gun" or not, they still should have completed the repair properly and not done a near enough is good enough job which created another potential for a major incident. As for the "no fee", the dealer still gets reimbursed by Jeep, so the dealer is not out of pocket.

Is it becoming more obvious that I am a tad shitty with the Dealer involved?? They are probably lucky they werent open yesterday when I found the problem.... would have made for a interesting phone conversation
Old 25-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldn't have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Perhaps the apprentice doing the work didn't want to fess up (to his supervisor) regarding the damage? on the XJ's I've been looking at lately the cup holder extension felt like an encumbrance on the hand brake operation though I fully see the requirement of an otherwise non-existent feature
Old 04-08-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 04-08-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have only had my Jeep for a few months. Anyone have a contact for Jeep Australia? Their website does not have a "contact us" link and my local dealer does not know about the recall. I would like to contact Jeep direct to get an answer if my '94 Cherokee Limited is covered. The steering is definitely strange, lots of free play in steering wheel, about 1-2 inches with power off.
I have a post on the subject at present, but I am a bit worried if I lose steering at 100kph.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards Ingin
Old 05-08-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ian,

Here is the number I was given to call if I had any further issues with mine. It is the direct line to Jeep Australia - Melb Customer Service. The lady's name is Alisha, she was very helpful. 03 9238 2634.

From what she told me, there is no expiry on the recall.

Hope this helps, any further queries let me know and I will see if I can help.

Cheers

Kel
Post New Thread  Reply