2001 Grand cherokee steering wheel vibrations - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default 2001 Grand cherokee steering wheel vibrations

Hello there everyone,

I have recently started to experience a strong vibration coming through the steering wheel of my jeep when traveling above 70/80kph, this is the 1st time I have experienced this and was wondering as to what parts and components of drive line/brakes/steering and suspension components i should be looking at to see if there is some sort of a mechanical issue causing this problem.

Car is stock height with standard tire size, tyres on it are fairly new and look even, i have already done a tire rotation and balancing on the car which helped reduce the vibration level a bit but has not completely eliminated it.

any help much appreciated it, cheers.
Old 24-09-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Its not Death Wobble is it?? The reason I ask is the fact you said Strong Vibration , which is what you get with death wobble. Give us some more info, eg. does it happen every time you get to 80kph? Did it just happen all of a sudden or did the vibs slowly get worst over days/weeks etc. Typically death wobble is triggered by a bump/pothole in the road and only stops when you bring the jeep to a stop. The times it has happened to me it was caused by worn out track rod bushes, but worn tierod ends etc can cause it too.
Old 24-09-2021
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It happens when driving above 80kph every time I drive, it started slowly then in a short time started to get strong where it is at now. It doesnt happen all the time when driving it comes and goes i have noticed but when its strong you really feel it.
Old 24-09-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I think you may have death wobble. Get someone to swing the steering wheel side to side while you inspect the steering joints under the jeep. Its best done with the engine running so power steering is working, maybe on the grass to save the tyres. Look closely at the track bar bushes and tie rod ends, but ball joints also may be shot. There should be no "play" in any of the joints.
Have a look on youtube there is a couple of good vids on trouble shooting death wobble in jeeps. A couple of things point to DW as the possible problem. 1,,DW can be very violent and gets worst as the bushes etc get more play from wear. 2,,most other "vibration" problems are there every time the jeep gets to the problem speed.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Old 24-09-2021
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Sounds like a tailshaft/ frontshaft bearing problem. Check all your uni joints.
Old 24-09-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

It's a tricky one to chase down.
Could be anything from a weight that's falken off front wheel (swap fronts for rears to see) to control arm bushings that are shagged. Heaps of threads about Jeep death wobble
Old 24-09-2021
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsofthedarknight View Post
Hello there everyone,

I have recently started to experience a strong vibration coming through the steering wheel of my jeep when traveling above 70/80kph, this is the 1st time I have experienced this and was wondering as to what parts and components of drive line/brakes/steering and suspension components i should be looking at to see if there is some sort of a mechanical issue causing this problem.

Car is stock height with standard tire size, tyres on it are fairly new and look even, i have already done a tire rotation and balancing on the car which helped reduce the vibration level a bit but has not completely eliminated it.

any help much appreciated it, cheers.

Remove the tailshaft & move the uni joints in both directions. Sometimes they seize thru lack of grease but don’t exhibit any free play. While it’s off replace the uni’ s with ones with grease nipples, not that expensive,except from Jeep (of course)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply