Petrol or Diesel? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick666 View Post
I dont think my timing belt is made of rubber.
They call them timing chains.
Old 16-09-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

For those interested, I have decided to go a hybrid approach. AEV 3.5 lift kit, e locker in the rear and 295 nittos. This allows my car to remain 100% legal and get benefits from both.
Old 16-09-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ok....

Price aside as it seems they end up costing the same one way or another, either in servicing or in petrol.

So...someone mentioned the US. I know of JK Expeditions in the US, they do the MOAB etc all with petrol wranglers as diesel is not available showing the petrol is a great performer. Then you get the few that stick a 500+ HP 6.1 Hemi v8 which = performance but of course at a huge fuel expense.

So my question is, if Diesel was available in the US, would the MOAB etc that JK Expeditions do, be 'easier' ?

What I am trying to gauge, as a purely off road vehicle, what is more capable, mud, rock crawling etc, diesel or petrol? Which is the better performer?
Old 02-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a 2013 crd manual, in low range it automatically idles up which helps casually getting up rocks and ledges. I've had 315/70s on it and didn't notice much power loss/ if any. It does get a bit warm when towing the camper though which I'm not happy about, even when on 285s.
Old 02-10-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.man View Post

What I am trying to gauge, as a purely off road vehicle, what is more capable, mud, rock crawling etc, diesel or petrol? Which is the better performer?
Rocks and mud don't tend to be considerate of the type of fuel being used to power the vehicle crossing them.

This is just my personal viewpoint, but the 2.8 implementation in the Wrangler has reliability question marks over it.

Which is weird, because it's rock solid in other applications.
Old 02-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Just buy my JKUR with all the fruit and the camper trailer and save your self all the hassles and time it listed in the for sale section. If you want a around Oz tourer buy a cruiser, but if you want a fun daily driver that can tackle the extreme stuff on the weekend then a jk is you best bet
Old 02-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just had the timing belt water pump serpentine belt and tensioner replaced $1700 on the dot 93000km sold my 80 series a year ago to get the jku you cannot compare the two the 80 is arguably the toughest 4x4 to be released in Australia but it has its limits std.jk is quite good out of the box also has its limits std if i was to tour loaded up give me the 80 you are comparing two different era's compare the jk with the equivalent year model 4wd thats when you can make an accurate comparison .the jku crd works well but as a heavy vehicle mechanic all light duty crd worry the shit out of me electronics on crd will let them down with age on any vehicle:×)
Post New Thread  Reply