Why do You Own a XJ - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

its a shame we don't live closer Hamish I would swap you the arb bar for a stock alloy bar mine is not a pristine example by any means but mechanically A1 and no dints a few scratches and faded paint some cracks in the front seats but who cares it takes me where I want to go
Great Stories everyone keep them coming
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 02-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
its a shame we don't live closer Hamish I would swap you the arb bar for a stock alloy bar mine is not a pristine example by any means but mechanically A1 and no dints a few scratches and faded paint some cracks in the front seats but who cares it takes me where I want to go
Great Stories everyone keep them coming
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
I am going to a factory steel bumper, have a black one with overriders and will mount my driving lights to it.
Old 07-09-2018
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Im a working musician and need a utility. Last couple of years I've been driving around a $15K Ford Focus. Had three recalls in the 2.5 years I owned it. I couldn't work on the thing myself. Servicing was pricey and the service centre is the sales yard - they were busy and rude. I decided at the beginning of the year I wanted to sell it and replace it with a simple, solid, older car I could maintain and work on myself. For ages I was looking at Mercs. I was chasing a W123 and was this close to owning one but got outbid last minute. I was bummed and was just looking at cheap cars online a few days later when I stumbled across a pic of what would soon be my first Jeep. Love at first site. Haven't owned long but it's a pleasure so far. Hopefully for years to come. There's some high miles (380K) having been owned by a farmer in the southwest (Im in WA) but otherwise a great, fun, very pretty workhorse cruiser.
Old 07-09-2018
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Some interesting stories here, I always enjoy reading people's history with these cars

For myself, it's purely nostalgia - the car is important to me. We bought it new in 1995, and it was the first car we ever bought with our own money. I spent a lot of my childhood skipping school to go on day or week long camping trips up by rainbow bay with mum, and when I was old enough it became my first car. Learned to drive in it, done a lot of miles (almost about to turn over 300k soon) and have lots of great memories in it. Mum's been fighting breast cancer for 7 years or so now and things aren't looking the best as of late, so for me the jeep is also something of a reminder of nicer times. If life stops kicking us in the guts while we're down, I'd love to fix the few bits of rust it has, give it some paint, and get back to doing the fun things like camping or road trips.

When I get another goat again some day, ideally I'd like to set it up so he can come on some road trips with me. Never got to do that with my last goat before I lost him so that's a stretch goal haha.

They're just such simple, reliable, CHARACTERFUL cars that take anything you throw at them with ease. Such as 10 bails of hay for the horses
Old 08-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
Some interesting stories here, I always enjoy reading people's history with these cars

For myself, it's purely nostalgia - the car is important to me. We bought it new in 1995, and it was the first car we ever bought with our own money. I spent a lot of my childhood skipping school to go on day or week long camping trips up by rainbow bay with mum, and when I was old enough it became my first car. Learned to drive in it, done a lot of miles (almost about to turn over 300k soon) and have lots of great memories in it. Mum's been fighting breast cancer for 7 years or so now and things aren't looking the best as of late, so for me the jeep is also something of a reminder of nicer times. If life stops kicking us in the guts while we're down, I'd love to fix the few bits of rust it has, give it some paint, and get back to doing the fun things like camping or road trips.

When I get another goat again some day, ideally I'd like to set it up so he can come on some road trips with me. Never got to do that with my last goat before I lost him so that's a stretch goal haha.

They're just such simple, reliable, CHARACTERFUL cars that take anything you throw at them with ease. Such as 10 bails of hay for the horses
Sobek, this really got me. Im sorry to hear about your mother. Make sure you never get rid of it. It's funny how much a car can bring back memories. Unfortunate as my parents either lost or sold the cars of my childhood, depending on the circumstances. Special one was the gu patrol...

Anyways, always that characterful thing that holds so many more memories than we can fathom. Takes us everywhere and (hopefully) there when we need them. In the last year of ownership, I have had so many experiences with my XJ, both good and bad. But you can't get that with a Camry.
Old 19-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Shameless Bump ......5 more and I have a 1000 posts

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 19-09-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Some good stories there.....

My XJ has been a long journey. It used to belong to my brother Matt. I remember him driving it around. It was the top of the wazza limited with leather, aircon and power everything. He passed away and i was tasked with selling it as part of the estate. I drove it around for a while to get quotes and do some repairs.... and then there was no way i could part with her. The family connection, those comfy black leather arm chair seats.. the noisy aircon blower.. lots of character!!

So i decided to keep her, but jazz her up as the family "monster truck". Got in trouble with the law running 35's and it took 2 years to get the defect notice removed and engineering completed.

Now she is still not perfect. I have all the parts, but trying to find the time to regear back to 4.56, rebuild the transfer case, add rear disc brakes (with ABS), and add a CB radio, high output alternator and a few other things.

Long journey.. but i will get there. I hope she will be my daily driver soon. She has done 325,000 but still starts in a split second and doesn't miss a beat. Lots of lessons learnt along the way, as she let me down once when the coil failed. Now i always keep all sensors and electricals in tip top shape.

Hope to be back on these forums more often soon with updates on the mods to the old girl..

Cheers,